RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone using Hyper-V Server 2012 with WHS 2011

edamiga1

Thanks Joe Miner. Just installed MS ForeFront Client Security. Install went as smooth as expected. However after install completed, it doesn't have find any client updates or virus definitions no matter how many times I scan?

You didn't read enough of the Forum post at http://homeserversho...us/page__st__40

Check out posts #49, 50, 51, 53, etc. They explain :

For the home computer to receive definition updates, you must configure it to use Microsoft Update.
It is highly recommended you do this first, so that the Client Security agent can immediately connect to Microsoft Update and get definition updates.

Which is a quote in #50 from One article in particular: http://technet.micro...y/bb625083.aspx involved installing FF on home computers.

=====

• Home-use installations must use Microsoft Update to download definition updates, rather than a corporate WSUS server. Consequently, the home computers must be opted into Microsoft Update manually.

Configuring your computer to use Microsoft Update

=====

While lengthy the entire thread is well worth reading IMHO.

Edited by Joe_Miner

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CablDeViL

• jmwills

• edamiga1

• Jason

Good to see that someone has successfully upgraded. I was about to upgrade, but wanted to confirm your experience and decide between two paths.

Path one: Buy new OS Harddrive and install clean on this, then move the VMs over. This keeps the older OS as a backup in case something goes wrong. Run for a week or so and make sure everything works perfectly and then reuse old drives.

Path two: Just upgrade existing OS, no simple way back, especially given that I don't backup the host OS.

Thoughts and experience on which path to choose? Leaning toward one.

I have Data center 2012 installed on my test server box with a monitor installed to work on my VMs. With hyper-V 2012 with the Gui can I view my VMs on the hyper-V server or do I have to remote in?

TY

Well Hyper-V the free version not Server 2012 with Hyper-V. After reading 20 pages on all the 2012 server and Hyper-V options my head is spinning. So sorry if I am missing the boat with "core server or full install"

TY

Well Hyper-V the free version not Server 2012 with Hyper-V. After reading 20 pages on all the 2012 server and Hyper-V options my head is spinning. So sorry if I am missing the boat with "core server or full install"

TY

All you get for GUI is pretty much a command prompt in this case. To manage your vms you have to do it from another machine and at the moment it has to be Windows 8 or Server 2012. I tried from Windows 7 and had problems where things did not work correctly.

I will warn you that if you are not on a domain running this way adds to the complexity. I would advice you run Server 2012 with Hyper-V role installed. So much easier.

Edited by Big Worm

Thanks for the advice. Like I said I am currently running data center 2012 and I love it. I will jump down to regular server 2012 and give that a shot as well.

Thank you all and sorry for Hijacking the thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Does Hyper V in Server support USB passthru yet? I have a printer hooked to my Home Server in order to share it throughout the house. If I can figure a way around that, would like to try virtualizing WHS under 2012.