RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone using Hyper-V Server 2012 with WHS 2011

edamiga1

I have been using Windows 2008 R2 Core with Hyper-V for the last 18 months or so and have had great success with this. I recently have had a couple of issues and an considering upgrading to 2012, but wanted to see if anyone had done this or is planning on doing this shortly.

I use my server to run WHS 2011, Windows 8 Development box, Windows 7 as a media server for XBox with my movies, old WHS V1, and a couple of other machines.

A couple of questions:

1. Has anyone done this, any known issues/risks with moving to 2012 Hyper-V.
  2. Thoughts on using drive pools on the 2012 server and passing these through to WHS 2011? Risks?
  3. Potential benefits and other risks?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CablDeViL

• jmwills

• edamiga1

• Jason

A good test would be to stand up a virtual 2012 server and run WHS inside of that, Wait, can you go two levels deep?

A good test would be to stand up a virtual 2012 server and run WHS inside of that, Wait, can you go two levels deep?

I have not had luck with 2 levels deep. I tried but the VM does think you have VM enabled on the hardware side.

I would be hesitant to do this, a little too much virtualization;-)

I would look to having Hyper-V 2012 on the bare metal and then WHS 2011 as a guest on that. Basically what I have today, just swapping out 2008 R2 with 2012.

Just finished upgrading my WS2008R2 box to WS2012 Standard GUI. Migrated over my WHS2011 and Win8Pro hyper-v VMs. Have not yet converted them to the new VHDX hyper-v 3.0 file format. Am already loving WS2012; seems to perform better than WS2008 on same hardware. Once WSE2012 reaches RTM, I may consider replacing my WHS2011 VM with a WSE2012VM for client backups.

I agree with Jason on the performance. Just put it on my test box (I3-530) and it runs great. Will be experimenting with Hyper V over the weekend. Storage Spaces on the other hand did not port over from the volume I created with Essentials. Had not issue on the beta or RC, but RTM seems to have changed things.

I agree with Jason on the performance. Just put it on my test box (I3-530) and it runs great. Will be experimenting with Hyper V over the weekend. Storage Spaces on the other hand did not port over from the volume I created with Essentials. Had not issue on the beta or RC, but RTM seems to have changed things.

I've not been brave enough to try Storage Spaces though. I have an old Adaptec 5805 hardware RAID card (3 GB/s not the newer 6 GB/s) that has 2 RAID5 arrays consisting of 4 HDDs each (8 total HDDs connected). I've not touched my RAID 5 arrays, only replaced my OS. WS2012 seems fast. Not to mention, I love Hyper-V so I can't see running WSE2012 as my primary OS, but possibly a guest OS.

Another thing -- I'm not aware of any antivirus solutions compatible with WS2012 yet. STAY AWAY from SEP 12.1. I tried installing it and it wrecked my entire OS install beyond repair. Had to wipe and start over.

Now for the bad -- I don't care for the SAFE MODE/recovery boot options. For starters, it's difficult to get into and when you do, it's confusing. Not as straight forward as the old F8, pick Safe Mode (w/ networking) and go.

-snip-

Another thing -- I'm not aware of any antivirus solutions compatible with WS2012 yet. STAY AWAY from SEP 12.1. I tried installing it and it wrecked my entire OS install beyond repair. Had to wipe and start over.

-snip-

I've been running MS ForeFront Client -- see: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1900-whs-2011-and-antivirus/page__st__40 and http://homeservershow.com/installing-server-2012-rc-on-the-gigabyte-ga-z77x-ud5h.html

It runs well on S2012 DataCenter, S2012 Standard, S2012 Storage Server Standard, and S2012Ebeta.

I've been running MS ForeFront Client -- see: http://homeserversho...us/page__st__40 and http://homeserversho...-z77x-ud5h.html

It runs well on S2012 DataCenter, S2012 Standard, S2012 Storage Server Standard, and S2012Ebeta.

Thanks Joe Miner. Just installed MS ForeFront Client Security. Install went as smooth as expected. However after install completed, it doesn't have find any client updates or virus definitions no matter how many times I scan?

EDIT: should anyone else experience this, here is how to resolve:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Forefrontclientsetup/thread/9bf37c5c-d856-40d2-aa76-de0292e8c430

Edited by Jason