RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
thosj

Home Server Status won't run

thosj

Well, to bring this to a close, I am back where it all started with everything back to normal.

I finally got 'round to uninstalling the connector on the funky computer, rebooted, reinstalled, setup backup, everything OK including HSS running fine. I have no idea why this all started or what I did to fix it other that what I stated above.

I restored a 3 or 4 day backup from the WHS, did all the stuff I mentioned WRT uninstalling Logitech webcam software, setting my router to use my ISP DNS and NOT OpenDNS, and checking iPv6 was disabled in my router. I'm uncertain if any of this had any affect, or if some magic just happened. I hate it when this happens, no definitive solution happened.

Alas, not much learned, but fixed!

Tom

ikon

Well, glad to hear you got it running anyway.

Jason

Just curious - What is your experience with OpenDNS vs ISP? I've found OpenDNS to be significantly slower than ISP.

ikon

Generally, I've found my ISP's DNS to be faster too. It makes sense really, all things considered. Where it sometimes doesn't is in situations where the ISP has some old clunker box doing its DNS and they haven't bothered to figure out it needs to be replaced.