RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
thosj

Home Server Status won't run

thosj

WHS 2011, Home Server Status latest version. All working well until yesterday!! I have 6 clients, and on ONE, Home Server Status won't start, either on startup, or trying to start it manually after a reboot. Strangely, and I'm unsure this is related, this same client has a warning that the Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider service is not running and I can't get it running.

I had Stablebit Drivepool on the server and client backups on it. I moved all the Server Folders off the pool drive, removed all the drives from the pool and uninstalled Stablebit Drivepool. I've rebooted the server and the clients several times. I ran chkdsk /f on all the server drives. The problem persists.

I thought I'd ask here because the two things started simultaniously yesterday. I've read around the web and can't seem to find anything that would help WRT the backup service. Some things about setting the service to Manual and starting it, didn't work, something about clearing Event Viewer logs, that didn't work. I'm no expert at Event Viewer, so I'm not sure if there's any info there that would help me.

The server services are all running fine, and all the other computer clients are backing up and don't have any alerts. I've even checked each for the service running and they're good. Just this one and right out of the blue, no changes on the client, I don't think!!

Any ideas?

JerryW

WHS 2011, Home Server Status latest version. All working well until yesterday!! I have 6 clients, and on ONE, Home Server Status won't start, either on startup, or trying to start it manually after a reboot. Strangely, and I'm unsure this is related, this same client has a warning that the Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider service is not running and I can't get it running.

I had Stablebit Drivepool on the server and client backups on it. I moved all the Server Folders off the pool drive, removed all the drives from the pool and uninstalled Stablebit Drivepool. I've rebooted the server and the clients several times. I ran chkdsk /f on all the server drives. The problem persists.

I thought I'd ask here because the two things started simultaniously yesterday. I've read around the web and can't seem to find anything that would help WRT the backup service. Some things about setting the service to Manual and starting it, didn't work, something about clearing Event Viewer logs, that didn't work. I'm no expert at Event Viewer, so I'm not sure if there's any info there that would help me.

The server services are all running fine, and all the other computer clients are backing up and don't have any alerts. I've even checked each for the service running and they're good. Just this one and right out of the blue, no changes on the client, I don't think!!

Any ideas?

If the Windows Server Client Backup Provider is not running or working correctly, this would most certainly cause a problem with HSS, as its primary function is to report backup status. HSS is reliant on the MS WHS2011 Connector software. This connector is what reports information to HSS. So, you will need to correct this problem first.

First and foremost, does the connector appear to be online and connecting to the WHS2011 server?

Have you tried removing the WHS2011 connector from the client and re-installing it?

I did come across this site. Though you did not mention this specifically, you can see if it pertains to you:

http://newleaserelea...ervice-timeout/

Edited by JerryW

thosj

Thanks for the offer to help out, Jerry.

The Connector software was installed and working. I finally thought about the reinstall, so I uninstalled the connector and then I couldn't get it installed again. The install would start, the green bar would march to the right to close to the end, then it'd back up and undo itself and tell me it stopped with an error. No amount of trying, reboting, manually removing C:\Program Files and C:\Program Data WHS folders worked. I simply could NOT get the conntecor installed.

I had this happen on another client computer a ~6 months ago and had to resort to an entire reinstall of Windows to get the connector installed. That time I had deleted the backups for the computer in question and was stuck. No amount of web surfing or forum posting got me a fix for the connector not installing!!

I fixed it this time by restoring the computer in question from a three day old backup and it's working at the moment. HSS is running, the connector software is running, and all SEEMS well. Not to say this won't crop up again!

Things I read around the web seemed to point to corrupted backup database. I don't know if tonight when backups happen, this won't show up again on this computer. Perhaps my moving the backup database off the DrivePool drive and uninstalling StableBit DrivePool will change something. I don't know.

So..........LSS, I'm good at the moment, but holding breath.

Oh, and thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that one. I'll keep that one in mind if this reappears. Problem is this WHS just works for months and months, and when something happens, I have to learn all this over and over again!!

Edited by thosj

JerryW

Thanks for the offer to help out, Jerry.

The Connector software was installed and working. I finally thought about the reinstall, so I uninstalled the connector and then I couldn't get it installed again. The install would start, the green bar would march to the right to close to the end, then it'd back up and undo itself and tell me it stopped with an error. No amount of trying, reboting, manually removing C:\Program Files and C:\Program Data WHS folders worked. I simply could NOT get the conntecor installed.

I had this happen on another client computer a ~6 months ago and had to resort to an entire reinstall of Windows to get the connector installed. That time I had deleted the backups for the computer in question and was stuck. No amount of web surfing or forum posting got me a fix for the connector not installing!!

I fixed it this time by restoring the computer in question from a three day old backup and it's working at the moment. HSS is running, the connector software is running, and all SEEMS well. Not to say this won't crop up again!

Things I read around the web seemed to point to corrupted backup database. I don't know if tonight when backups happen, this won't show up again on this computer. Perhaps my moving the backup database off the DrivePool drive and uninstalling StableBit DrivePool will change something. I don't know.

So..........LSS, I'm good at the moment, but holding breath.

Oh, and thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that one. I'll keep that one in mind if this reappears. Problem is this WHS just works for months and months, and when something happens, I have to learn all this over and over again!!

I understand. I seldom think about my WHS. 2011 is more touchy than v1 but when it works, it works. If you have any other questions or need help again, everyone on this forum is here to help. Believe me, all of us have been through it, love to figure it out, and most of the time, we find a fix. ;-)

thosj

Well things aren't reallty right just yet!!

Even though the connector and HSS are running, and I can open the Dashboard, this computer shows up as not connected in the Dashboard. Hence, it isn't getting backed up. The services are running, but I don't know how to get the computer connected. And how is it that the computer has the connector running, but in the Dashboard it doesn't show up as online?

I guess I'm off to try some more stuff, but probably, when I reboot the client, I'll end up with the service not running again, and if I uninstall and try to reinstall the connector, it won't install. Sigh...

My other clients are running, backing up, everything seemingly fine. This can hardly indicate a corrupt backup database on the server, can it? Or CAN it? I'll do some research on repairing the client backup database or whatever it is that might have lead to the problem in the first place.

Thanks again for the offer to help, I certainly need it!!

Tom

ikon

There's another (recent) post in these forums where the poster found out that uninstalling the Connector, deleting any leftover WHS folders on the client, deleting WHS-related entries in the Registry, and then reinstalling finally fixed his issue.

jmwills

Or at least renaming those folders with a ".old" extension until the issue is resolved.

thosj

Ikon, do you have a link the thread you mentioned? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

thosj

That almost can't be the thread ikon was referring to. It's about server recovery. My issue is with the connector software not installing on a CLIENT. This is my second episode with this issue. On the first one I ended up wiping and installing Windows 7 anew. On this computer I'd rather NOT do that as this box has many things that make it a PITA to redo from scratch.

So my current situation is:

The client backup service wouldn't run, on ONE client, all others fine.

Tried to uninstall/reinstall the connector software and it wouldn't reinstall

I restored a 3 day old backup from the server

The client backup service is running, but the computer doesn't show connected in Dashboard even though the connector is running and Home Server Status is running, hence, it's not backing up.

So my next step is to uninstall the connector and see if I can reinstall it on this restored OS, Windows 7 32 bit Professional, BTW.

I've read all 'round the web and read many apparent solutions for this issue, including:

Uninstall Logitech Webcam software, I had that installed and I uninstalled it. This seemed pretty arcane, but hey....

Don't use OpenDNS, I used OpenDNS and have set my router back to DNS from my ISP. OpenDNS had an issue with WHS v1, but I hadn't heard of issues with 2011.

Disable IPv6, my router had IPv6 off, but I don't know if this means somehow disabling IPv6 in Windows itself, too.

Any clues, tips, links to help me see if I can increase my chances of uninstalling/reinstalling the connector software would be appreciated. There's SOME SMALL CHANCE that it will simply work, and if it doesn't, I can still restore the same day's backup, long as I don't mess about with removing this client and losing it's backups!!

Wishing I was more of an expert with WHS!

Tom

Edited by thosj