RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Air play and lights out

mattd390

I am in the process of moving into a new place and am trying to keep from having my server on 24/7. My only real issue with this is having it turned off when I want to stream a video to air play when I am away from home. Is there a way to wake my server when air play is requesting data? I use lights out if that helps any.

WoL? From your phone. I've seen apps that supposedly can do this remotely.

That would be a neat trick, especially if it could wake up a computer with a private range IP from the internet. Can't really see how this would be possible without some sort of 'agent' on the LAN the target is connected to, but it would still be neat.

I kind of have it working now... I ended up using Mocha RDP on my iPhone to wake my main pc. Once that PC is up my WHS 2011 sees it and wakes up with the help of the Lights-Out add-in. My only issue I think is when the WHS-2011 goes to sleep after it was awoken once by my main pc waking it up. Once it tries to go asleep again it usually locks up. I need to check the logs I think. Maybe I should just use Mocha RDP to wake my server up directly. If I get a decent fix I will post it. :)