RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jdell42

DE or RAID for 24-48 TB?

ikon

So hopester, it sounds like you're not really using FlexRAID as a RAID Manager, but kind of like a backup tool. Am I in the ball park?

hopester

So hopester, it sounds like you're not really using FlexRAID as a RAID Manager, but kind of like a backup tool. Am I in the ball park?

Flexraid in snapshot mode is really a hard drive failure protection tool like DE but gains over it as it uses parity (less drives). I would only use it to protect large static data files like movies that you have the bluray disks for. Using DE to protect a large movie collection is such a waste of disk space.

I would not recommend flexraid snapshot mode to protect changing data and small files due to possible data loss if a disk fails before parity is calculated. Hardware raid is still king but as pcdoc says you need the right disks (non green, same size / manufacturer etc)

Big Worm

I have been doing some research for starting up my on big 4224 server at home for my media.

I am either going to go with unRaid which lets you mix drives and has a parity drive or WHS 2011 using Flexraid. Both let you mix drives so that as your needs grow you can keep growing your storage pool. Are you looking to reuse hardware?

jdell42

I am looking to reuse my drives. The Acer H340 will be repurposed or sold. I have looked at unRaid and it looks neat. I have seen a lot of large capacity builds with it. I have a few windows apps I need to run on the server so I need to stick with a Windows based solution. I have been looking at flexraid based on above comments from hopester and will probably evaluate it.

ikon

Flexraid in snapshot mode is really a hard drive failure protection tool like DE but gains over it as it uses parity (less drives). I would only use it to protect large static data files like movies that you have the bluray disks for. Using DE to protect a large movie collection is such a waste of disk space.

I would not recommend flexraid snapshot mode to protect changing data and small files due to possible data loss if a disk fails before parity is calculated. Hardware raid is still king but as pcdoc says you need the right disks (non green, same size / manufacturer etc)

Interesting. Did a bit of lookup on it. Kind of a novel concept. Not sure I need it, but will keep it in mind for the future.

Big Worm

I am looking to reuse my drives. The Acer H340 will be repurposed or sold. I have looked at unRaid and it looks neat. I have seen a lot of large capacity builds with it. I have a few windows apps I need to run on the server so I need to stick with a Windows based solution. I have been looking at flexraid based on above comments from hopester and will probably evaluate it.

That is the nice thing about Flexraid, you can use drives with data already on them. With Flexraid all you wound need is 3 of these to have 24 ports.

Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

jdell42

Before posting here I had ordered 3 of the supermicro 3Gb versions of the above thinking I would use just a JBOD config and DE.... but I did not realize they were 3Gb vs. 6Gb. I then ordered three of the High Point (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115111) after seeing PCDocs recommendation and reading several reviews. (I could not use the 16 drive card as I do not ahve a x16 PCIe slot.) They are not the best in class but surely hte best value for a controller. So I now have the option of going hardware RAID or software RAID for an extra ~$150 over the 3Gb and ~$90 over the 6Gb HBA.

In terms of harware RAID.. taking closer inventory of my drives I have 5 2TB 3Gb Enterprise class drives I could make into a RAID 5 array.

I also have 3 2TB 6Gb Enterprise class drives.

My concern is that I doubt I will be able to get any more of the 3Gb drives nor would I buy then when I have 6Gb availible.

Reading more about software RAID I think its a better alternative in terms of efficiency over DE... and it seems more fault tolerant than hardware RAID in term of using existing hardware and replacement drives / controllers. I really like the ability to access the drives on any PC adn the elimination of RAID build and rebuild times.

At this point I really dont know why I would go for hardware RAID considering my existing hardware and future flexibility.

In terms of software RAID vs. DE.. I like the added capacity but I need to research more on Hopesters hybrid approach. From what I have read it does not appear I even need Stablebit if my pictures and music are under 2TB.

hopester

From what I have read it does not appear I even need Stablebit if my pictures and music are under 2TB.

You still need stablebit to create the pool for your movies (if you go the software route). I would not use the drive pooling that flexraid provides (paid extra) as I've found it unrealiable and it does not handle WHS2011 shares very well. If anyone tests Flexraid, avoid the Cruise control mode and switch to expert settings.

jmwills

We had a guy who worked with us in Iraq and was always praising FlexRaid, but it always seemed to break for what he was using it for.

Big Worm

A lot of people are running Flexraid for storage pooling over at avsforum.com for movie servers which is how I came to find out about it. They seem to have nothing but good things to say about it.