RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Where is your Home Server?

Here's another one to consider: http://www.thermalta...35&ID=1882#Tab2

I think the phantom power used by the power supply would be very close to the power used by the USB fan; these fans use very little power.

Phantom power if there is any, does not even register on my meter. A typical computer fan draws roughly 4.5 watts. That is a huge difference over time 24/7

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Jamr

• jmwills

• oj88

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The amazing (sad?) thing is how recently we were all using CRT monitors

Phantom power if there is any, does not even register on my meter. A typical computer fan draws roughly 4.5 watts. That is a huge difference over time 24/7

The Thermaltake cooler draws about 1 watt, which I think is more than reasonable.

IMHO, 4.5 watts is not a big deal. It's only half of what a typical nitelite draws. You're talking about less than what it costs to power a 100 watt bulb for 1 hour. I'm all for energy efficiency, but I think worrying about these levels is a bridge too far.

• 4 months later...
Just Checking

I have a CRT for my server too.  It's the only display I have besides the attached displays of the laptops in my network.    I measured the power consumption of the CRT at 50 watts.  The power consumption of the N54L  with 5 HDD's, 1 SSD, a USB 3.0 PCIe card and the processor running at 100% is 75 - 83 watts. Power consumption at idle was measured at around 40 watts.    Adding a RAC increases power consumption by 10 watts.  External HDD's at idle take about 5 watts each.  When spinning at full speed (7200 rpm) and transferring data at maximum rate, the Seagate 2TB & 4TB drives I measured consumed about 10 watts each. 

With my server operating at full capacity and with three external HDD's attached the power consumption went to 95 watts + the 50 watts of the CRT.

From the picture, there are a couple 8-port switches (5-10 watts each), a 2-disk NAS (20-30 watts), a 4-disk NAS (40-45 watts), and possibly a router (25 watts).

That closet looks to be about 1.25 meters wide by 1 meter tall.  That closet should easily get 20 C. warmer than ambient.  It would be higher if the doors didn't have louvers.

pcdoc

I keep mine an the extra bedroom so I can easily work on it if I want to.

img0126cd.jpg

LOL. You need a couple of pictures on the walls pcdoc :) Or maybe some CCR posters :D

Seriously, I am a little bit surprised you have the units on the carpet where they can suck in dust. I realise you likely don't go in that room all that much, but I would have expected them to be on a table of some kind. You have no issues with dust?