• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Jamr

• Joe_Miner

^ Haha. Is that your take? That I use a CRT? I was being practical and all since I have it lying around. It IS tucked away and isn't turned on for more than a few minutes a week and only when I do maintenance stuff. Most of the hot air comes out of the server and NAS.

Was thinking of putting a blower to force air into or out of the closet but I can't find anything that's good and quiet but can still move air enough to make a difference.

Edited by oj88

I laugh when I see old movies with big monitors on their desks. CRT's really make a movie look dated.

I especially like the scene from "2010 the year we make contact" where the computer programmer goes to his office and talks to the newer HAL and on his desk is this CRT with a bigger cover over it to make it look futuristic.

It's funny how no one envisioned or had the capability to make flat screens in their future movie scenes.

0.jpg

Edited by J Miller (Jamr)

^ Haha. Is that your take? That I use a CRT? I was being practical and all since I have it lying around. It IS tucked away and isn't turned on for more than a few minutes a week and only when I do maintenance stuff. Most of the hot air comes out of the server and NAS.

Was thinking of putting a blower to force air into or out of the closet but I can't find anything that's good and quiet but can still move air enough to make a difference.

To cool the closet I recommend you get a USB-powered laptop cooler: something like this: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6624655&CatId=3486. I think you might be surprised at how much cooler the closet might get.

The laptop cooler is a neat idea, even for a Canuck! :D

LOL, we Canucks know a thing or two about cold :)

I've used laptop coolers in a couple of places at work:

1. inside a cabinet in our boardroom. We have a group of 3 twisted-pair video transceivers in the cabinet. They're used to carry signals from 2 Presentation Computers to a circle of LCD monitors set in the infield of the circular boardtable. They get almost too hot to touch if not cooled.
    The sides of the cabinets have inset grills so there is a way for air to move through the cabinet. The problem is getting air to move through. So I put a laptop cooler under the 3 video transceivers and it reduced their temperatures significantly.
    Since there's no computer close by the cabinet, I used an AC-USB charger plug to power the cooler.
  2. inside 2 cabinets in a kiosk that houses 2 staff computers. The space is quite compact and so there really wasn't enough space to provide adequate cooling for the computers. A laptop cooler in each cabinet draws air from one side of the cabinet, across the computer, and out the other side; works a treat. These coolers are, naturally, powered by the computers themselves.

That laptop cooler idea does have merit. What do you guys think of this cooler? Link: http://www.cdrking.c...d=9454&main=140

It's about $2 each and the largest fan I could find (170mm). I can probably have two of them in a push-pull setup.

I think using a (2) 12v fans, power supply and fan temp switch as a separate system is a better way to go. I am energy conscious and having a USB fan on all of the time seems a waste.

That laptop cooler idea does have merit. What do you guys think of this cooler? Link: http://www.cdrking.c...d=9454&main=140

It's about $2 each and the largest fan I could find (170mm). I can probably have two of them in a push-pull setup.

Here's another one to consider: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1135&ID=1882#Tab2

I think using a (2) 12v fans, power supply and fan temp switch as a separate system is a better way to go. I am energy conscious and having a USB fan on all of the time seems a waste.

I think the phantom power used by the power supply would be very close to the power used by the USB fan; these fans use very little power.