RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl for $100 shipped at NewEgg Today Only!

bondisdead

I was shopping for the Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl recently, as my trusy server case caught fire last week. While I ended up buying it for $110 at NCIX, it's on sale today for $100 shipped from NewEgg as part of the Shell Shocker special. I just got the case yesterday, and it is a solid case! It weighs 44 shipped, so not sure how NewEgg (or NCIX) make any money on this, LOL.

Thus far, I have been impressed with the case. It has ten hard-drive trays, though no SATA backplane. I have seen this case mentioned for server builds, so though i would share.

Probably my only knocks is that they should have provided two 140mm front fans, or at least the mounting hardware for the fans (in order to keep the color aesthetics the same). Oh, there is a heavy door on the front of the case, to keep everything hidden away. The clearance between the door and the case is very small, so if you have a 5.25" device which sticks out, the door won't close. I had a hot-swap back, which has a bracket which exteds out 1/2". I had to recess the bacy just a bit in order make sure the door could close.

Edited by bondisdead

I was shopping for the Fractal Design Define XL Black Pearl recently, as my trusy server case caught fire last week. While I ended up buying it for $110 at NCIX, it's on sale today for $100 shipped from NewEgg as part of the Shell Shocker special. I just got the case yesterday, and it is a solid case! It weighs 44 shipped, so not sure how NewEgg (or NCIX) make any money on this, LOL.

Thus far, I have been impressed with the case. It has ten hard-drive trays, though no SATA backplane. I have seen this case mentioned for server builds, so though i would share.

Probably my only knocks is that they should have provided two 140mm front fans, or at least the mounting hardware for the fans (in order to keep the color aesthetics the same). Oh, there is a heavy door on the front of the case, to keep everything hidden away. The clearance between the door and the case is very small, so if you have a 5.25" device which sticks out, the door won't close. I had a hot-swap back, which has a bracket which exteds out 1/2". I had to recess the bacy just a bit in order make sure the door could close.

Agree with your assessment. I took the fan from the back, put it the front so it would match. Then I just bout a low RPM fan for the back. I do not have any 5.25 devices in my servers so I have not see the door issue.

I found a 140mm fan locally for my Mid-Arc for about $10. Now...this is when I miss Korea when I could get those things all day long for $2! Even ones that had LED messaging on them.

When you going back? I'm thinking, one of these days, the wife and I should go for a visit, given my father fought there, and Canada and Korea have such a special relationship.