RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L Microserver only seeing two drives

koolherc

Hi,

I have looked through the other posts on this Forum and could not see if anybody else had a similar problem. I got my new N40L recently to accompany the existing N36L which will remain my Production machine. I have added three SATA drives to the N40L, but the BIOS is only seeing the first two drives? I have upgraded the RAM to 8GB successfully and noticed that the two drives that are not seen protude very slightly and wondered if anybody else had come across this problem?

Thanks in advance.

make sure those carriers are properly seated into the backplane. They should all be flush with one another.

You betchas! Just let us know. Sometimes those receivers for the HDD's are a little difficult to deal with. And is it the BIOS doesn't see them or the OS?

I find it best to use 'feel' to sense if HDDs are properly seated. If you find it a bit difficult, try closing your eyes. You should feel a slight resistance just before the drive seats, and it should fully seat after about 1/4" of travel. And, as jmwills says, all the drives should be lined up evenly after insertion.

Hi, I tried this last night and it seems that both drives are faulty. It is the BIOS that is not seeing drives 3 and 4. I don't have a screenshot, but facing the Microserver, the BIOS sees the first 250GB drive the unit ships with and the next. It does not see the remaining two. I will try the closed eyes approach, but this will probably be tomorrow.

I have to say this is an excellent forum with very friendly members!

The backplane will have connectors that go to the motherboard. It's a pain to pull all of that out, but the first thing I would check is the tightness of those connections. As a fail safe, swap those two drives up to positions 1 & 2 and see if the BIOS sees them there.

I call the positions 1-2-3-4 from left to right.

Do what jmwills says. It's time to check if it's the drives or the drive bays. Try putting your OS drive in one of the bays where the 2 drives are not recognised.