RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mediabiz

RAID 5 options & setup

jmwills

OOTB I can see it being slower so maybe that's why the mod exists?

ikon

That was my basic premise; not sure why they would do that, but wasn't ruling it out either.

mediabiz

OK, the progress so far:

Installed WHS2011 on the 250Gb drive in the ODD bay. Still using the stock HP BIOS, booting up seems a little longer but not a dramatic loss of speed. Running any native apps ( Dashboard, Explorer etc), seem to run smoothly and file read/write operations also seem the same as before - might keep the stock BIOS a little longer and see how it goes. One thing I did notice though is that the OS HDD is a LOT louder in the bracket in the ODD bay rather than he HDD cage.

Tried to build a software RAID 5 array but after 24 hours and progress seemingly stuck at 23%, cut my losses and started again. This time before I started the RAID build, I modified the head park time using the WD utility (I've got 4 x WD EARX Green HDD's) out to 5 minutes. Don't know if it made any difference or whether something had gone wrong first time but the array build is going along slowly but surely and is sitting at 42% after 26 hours.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the N40L and WHS - much more flexible and quicker than the Qnap TS210 it replaced and for the price, was a much better alternative to a 4 bay Qnap.

Just wondering if an antivirus is needed for the server and if so, can anyone suggest an alternative?

ikon

There's been a lot of debate re: AV on WHS. Some run it, some do not (I don't). My basic recommendation is this: if you plan to do any surfing from the server (which I don't recommend), or run 3rd party apps that access the internet on the server, then run it; if not then you can leave it off.

The only surfing I do from the server is to Windows Update, and I have zero 3rd party apps.

pcdoc

1. thanks for doing the testing and reporting back; look forward to seeing the results.

2. pay the RAID5 nay-sayers no mind. I've been using RAID5 since the late 80s or early 90s with great success (and it's gotten better over the years). Just get a decent RAID card and realize RAID is a form of redundancy, not a backup. If you plan on using it as your main backup, your asking for trouble. In fact, I would go so far as to predict you will lose data at some point.

Well said.... :D