RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Thinking on migrating to WS 2012 Essentials?

Ncage1974

I would imagine most of you are migrating from WHS 2011. I'm a little different in that i will be migrating from FreeNas 7.2 which i migrated from the whs v.1 about 2 years ago.

I need your guys advice. I thinking on going with either Windows Server 2012 Standard or Essentials. To be honest with you if essentials was going to be released in Sept. along with Windows Server then i would choose essentials but since we don't know what date essentials is going to be released its a harder choice.

I'm either thinking on going from essentials RC --> essentials RTM when its released or going with Standard and then moving to essential rtm when its released.

All my important data will reside on this box. Essentials is at RC. I would think the "Storage Spaces" part of essentials should be stable because its probably exactly what the use in every other version. Would you guys be hesitant to put your important data on it since its at RC?

Another concern i have is with storage spaces. I think storage spaces between Standard & Essentials should be compatible right? Don't know if it matters but i plan to use the parity disk. So when i blow out my old OS i should just be able to point the essentials RTM at the old storage space drives and it should pick everything up? Could this be error problematic with how new storage spaces is?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Here is my two cents. First, there does not seem to be an easy path to upgrade. Since SE will be RTM in December, I would suggest you wait for that. IMO, you gain a bit of ease of use, client backup, and web access with minimal configuration. If your read the blog posts I wrote on this site, it will not surprise that I would recommend staying away form Storage Spaces for the first round. Although they seem to be addressing the performance issues, I still have had a couple of weird anomalies. If you can live with mirroring, then you should be OK, but if you need the space and want to use parity, use a RAID 5 instead pf storage spaces. I would only recommend SS on mirrors and nothing else.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4386-converting-to-the-release-candidate/

Very few people are migrating from WHS 2011 to Windows Server 2012. Windows Server 2012 Standard or Essentials is a business platform. I'd migrate to WHS 2011. WHS 2011 will be supported for a long time and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches. Since WHS 2012 is a business platform you must be on a domain. Unless you're already using a RAID card I'd recommend using Stablebit Drivepool to pool your hard drives.

• Like 1

It is not yet clear at all as to who will be leaving WHS2011. I'm not sure whether I will be or not. Having a domain certainly does scare me at all. I actually prefer domains to workgroups. However, there are other factors, such as cost, that I feel sure will affect how many people will migrate to some version of Server 2012.

If they offer a workgroup or domain option, I will migrate. If for no other reason than for the improved client backup functionality. Though I have no need for a domain in my home environment. Regardless I do plan to upgrade my current WS2008R2 server to WS2012 if it goes RTM next week (9/4).

One problem is that WHS 2011 will not back up UEFI partitions and most future machines will be UEFI, so although WHS 2011 will be supported for years to come, it will not be upgraded to support newer technologies.

If I want to keep support for all my systems , I will have to upgrade!

One problem is that WHS 2011 will not back up UEFI partitions and most future machines will be UEFI, so although WHS 2011 will be supported for years to come, it will not be upgraded to support newer technologies.

If I want to keep support for all my systems , I will have to upgrade!

That's a good point, although I think you mean GPT partitions.