RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upload photos from android phone to server?

Shoop

hey everyone,

I need some help. I am looking for a way to upload my photos taken with my android phone to my photos folder on my WHS 2011 without the use of a computer. i will be away from home for about a month and would like to just snap a picture and upload it to the server right on the spot. Is there an easy way to do accomplish this task?

thanks

I have yet to delve into this in detail but I think you can make use of Dropbox photo sync.

If you also install Dropbox on your WHS, any taken photos should become visible to your WHS.

At this point, the photos are just in DropBox but accessible from the WHS.

A scheduled task could automatically copy any visible files to a "permanent" home (i.e., WHS photos folder) and then delete the DropBox "temporaries."

In theory should work :)

Am sure something could be rigged with other online service (e.g., SkyDrive) with a standalone / self-contained app being ideal - will let you know if I come across anything...

And then have SkyDrive sync with WHS? I like.....

Yeah, exactly.

Yes, as of 56 minutes ago - offical from Microsoft - interesting...

They were reading my mind, or was I reading theirs? Anyway, good news for Android users.

I'm not familiar with cloud based storage but willing to learn. If I install skydrive on my WHS2011 will it syncornize the skydrive folder on the server with the skydrive cloud folder (ie. will it download any new pictures from the cloud to my whs skydrive folder)? Or does it only upload to the skydrive cloud? If it downloads from skydrive cloud to the server I could then use allwaysync to sync the skydrive folder on whs2011 with my pictures folder so they could be seen from remote login.

I hope this makes sense. My goal is to get the pictures from my android camera to my server without use of a computer.

They were reading my mind, or was I reading theirs?

I hear a tin-foil hat alleviates this problem. ;)

Installing skydrive app now...

That would be nice. This means I can stop running an FTP server on the phone just to get the photos off.