RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can WSE 2012 Backup/Restore Client PCs that use UEFI/GPT?

gcoupe

As you're probably aware, WHS 2011 cannot backup/restore client PCs that use UEFI/GPT technology. I'm curious to know whether this has been fixed in WSE 2012. Has anyone tested this?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent.

Now, to be honest, I'm not so concerned about this for desktops at this time. GPT is only really needed for Advanced Format boot drives after all and I'm a believer in having separate OS and data drives, so I don't really need a large boot drive, which means I don't need Advanced Format either.

Where I can really see this coming into play is for laptops, which mostly can only have a single HDD. I don't a laptop with an Advanced Format drive yet, but I can see it happening in the future.

Not true at all. It's not needed for af drives. Outta needed for efi systems.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Guest no-control

Excellent.

Now, to be honest, I'm not so concerned about this for desktops at this time. GPT is only really needed for Advanced Format boot drives after all and I'm a believer in having separate OS and data drives, so I don't really need a large boot drive, which means I don't need Advanced Format either.

Where I can really see this coming into play is for laptops, which mostly can only have a single HDD. I don't a laptop with an Advanced Format drive yet, but I can see it happening in the future.

You can do an EFI windows install on any type of drive. I think you're confusing the fact that EFI uses GPT thus allowing >2TB bootable drive volumes(partitions). I ran an EFI install for the better part of a year on a PAIR of RAID0 SSDs.

Not true at all. It's not needed for af drives. Outta needed for efi systems.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Not quite sure what you mean. Is the answer that GPT is ONLY needed for >2TB, whether the drive is AF or not?

No GPT is part of EFI and is required for an EFI OS install.

Well, there's a log of conflicting evidence out there.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

OS loaders are a class of UEFI applications. As such, they are stored as files on a file system that can be accessed by the firmware. Supported file systems include FAT32, FAT16 and FAT12. Supported partition table schemes include MBR and GPT. UEFI does not rely on a boot sector.

However...

Source: http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2011/v15i1/pdfs/Intel-Technology-Journal-Volume-15-Issue-1-2011.pdf

sy135g.png

Guest no-control

Yeah well that's because Apple uses FAT and osX is an EFI OS. Has little to do with Windows EFI installations. Plain and simple if you're looking to install a windows UEFI platform it need to be a GPT Disk. Only a very narrow run of the early UEFI enabled (usually intel and gigabyte) motherboards allowed UEFI running MBR in a CSM. Meaning they used the old BIOS interface but had the ability to run UEFI on top of the legacy system.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799232(v=ws.10).aspx#PartitionStructures

Partition Structures

The partition types must match the firmware of the computer. You can install Windows® 7 and Windows Server® 2008 R2 on hard disks that are based on any of the following types of firmware:

• Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). Uses the Master Boot Record (MBR) partition structure.
  • Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) Class 1. Uses the GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition structure.
  • Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Class 2: Uses the GPT partition structure. Also includes a compatibility support module (CSM) that enables you to use BIOS functions, including the MBR partition structure. This module may be enabled or disabled in the firmware.
  • Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Class 3: Uses the GPT partition structure.

So, basically, it's a toss-up. Your board may, or may not, allow you to do one, or the other, or both. IOW, YMMV. I have an Asus P8P67-M and it seems to permit both.