RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

unRAID - CrashPlan - at last!

geek-accountant

I have tried multiple times to get CrashPlan running on my unRAID server and was never successful, until now! I started using unRAID shortly after installing WHSv1 and coming to the realization that the dtat protection solution used by WHSv1 was very wasteful and would require double the space for all my movies, or no protection at all. unRAID is similiar to RAID 4, but without striping, which is both a plus and a minus.

Anyway, unRAID was never really meant to run full programs, but since it is based on Linux, people are creating some nice add-ons. Recently someone created an easier way to get CrashPlan running and I finally got it to work, granted "easy" is not the word I would use.

With this, I will now stop using most of the builtin backup settings in Windows 7 and rely on my WHS backups and the data backed up from each PC using CrashPlan. In addition, since adding storage to unRAID is really easy, I now plan to let family members backup to my unRAID server, using CrashPlan.

unraid-crashplan.jpg

Neat. I plan to do this myself. I just got my unRAID box setup. It took a long time to transfer my data and then parity sync took another long while.

Question: That dashboard is something I've never seen before. I'm running the same version of unRAID but mine looks very different. I just ordered a license key so maybe that dashboard is only available for paid users?

unraid Ui

Edited by texasPI

Congrats. Sounds like a great solution for an existing storage solution. Might have to look at at that again.

OK Mike, this is your fault! Hardware on the way to build a small form factor unRaid setup. This ought to be interesting. Will start out with the 3 drive version and see how it plays out. If it works, i will use it a backup source. Have you tried using he cache drive? Do you know if the cache drive can be an SSD?

Neat. I plan to do this myself. I just got my unRAID box setup. It took a long time to transfer my data and then parity sync took another long while.

Question: That dashboard is something I've never seen before. I'm running the same version of unRAID but mine looks very different. I just ordered a license key so maybe that dashboard is only available for paid users?

The UI is something call SimpleFeatures Plugin. Check out this forum post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12698.0

What version are you running? I have to say, CrashPlan was not the easiest thing to setup, but at least now that someone has developed a plugin, I was able to get it done.

Congrats. Sounds like a great solution for an existing storage solution. Might have to look at at that again.

Yes, this is a good solution for storage where you don't need blazing speeds. I can get about 45-60 on writes and up to 100+ on reads. The reason I love it is that it allows me to use different size drives, I can replace drives with bigger ones down the road or simply add additional drives as needed. Of course, it does need time to add the drive which may take some time depending on the size of the array.

OK Mike, this is your fault! Hardware on the way to build a small form factor unRaid setup. This ought to be interesting. Will start out with the 3 drive version and see how it plays out. If it works, i will use it a backup source. Have you tried using he cache drive? Do you know if the cache drive can be an SSD?

I do use a cache drive to help with the write speeds, although CrashPlan seems to be avoiding the cache drive and is writing straight to the array. I see no reason the cache drive can't be an SSD. You can tell the system how often and when to clear the cache drive and write the data to the array. I think I have mine set for around 2am, but not sure.

As you dig into it, there are lots of settings for the shares, drives and more. As long as you can deal with the speed, it really is a good system.

For me, I use it to store additional backups of the PC's, programs downloaded from Technet or other locations, ripped movies, recorded TV and more. Since I have very little HD movies, streaming the movies has not been an issue. In our case, the max number of movies that would be streamed at the same time is only 2. I am not sure what the streaming demands of multuple HD movies would be or if unRAID could handle it.

The UI is something call SimpleFeatures Plugin. Check out this forum post: http://lime-technolo...p?topic=12698.0

What version are you running? I have to say, CrashPlan was not the easiest thing to setup, but at least now that someone has developed a plugin, I was able to get it done.

Yes, this is a good solution for storage where you don't need blazing speeds. I can get about 45-60 on writes and up to 100+ on reads. The reason I love it is that it allows me to use different size drives, I can replace drives with bigger ones down the road or simply add additional drives as needed. Of course, it does need time to add the drive which may take some time depending on the size of the array.

Thanks Mike, I'll have a look at that plugin. I'm only getting 20-30 on writes. I'm not sure why they're so slow. Actually, those write speeds are before I added the parity drive so I'd imagine they're even lower now. When I have more time I'm going to swap cables and the switch the server is on to see if that might help. Or maybe it's due to the speed of my drives or that I'm running the server on an HP Microserver.

EDIT: I actually blew away my WHS2011 to go with unRAID. It seems better suited for my needs, particularly since my wife now has a Mac that I need to backup. I like that AFP shares are so easy to create on unRAID and Time Machine sees it just fine on the network, just like a Time Capsule. I couldn't get WHS 2011 to work as a target for Time Machine backups.

Edited by texasPI

Thanks Mike, I'll have a look at that plugin. I'm only getting 20-30 on writes. I'm not sure why they're so slow. Actually, those write speeds are before I added the parity drive so I'd imagine they're even lower now. When I have more time I'm going to swap cables and the switch the server is on to see if that might help. Or maybe it's due to the speed of my drives or that I'm running the server on an HP Microserver.

The mistake I made was having a PCI controller card. While I had 6 SATA connections on the MB, it wasn't enough and I had to add another card. The parity ended up on that card and my writes speeds where sub 20. Now that I have a PCIe controller card, my speeds are much better. Adding a cache drives also helps.