RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installation problems

jdomm95

I have a N40L. I upgraded the RAM and began a headless install of WHS 2011 from a USB drive. It sees the drive, and seems to install the files, but restarts from loading files after the first reboot. I'm not sure if I did not hook the motherboard back up correctly, or if I need to format the drive. After I didn't have success, I went into the RAID Configuration and erased the drive and then resetup the logical drive, but I don't see any difference in the behavior.T

Thanks in advance.

A little more detail about the RAID would be helpful. Is there a controller card involved, or is this onbaord thru the BIOS? Which flavor of RAID and why did you choose to install the OS on a RAID volume?

Oh, and welcome to the forums. Lots of smart and friendly people here.

I only have the one drive in there. I thought it would let me set up a RAID 0 volume on it, but it said it required 2 drives for RAID 0. I just looked at the Option ROM Utility menu. It says the volume is "RAID Ready" and that it is functional.

I don't completely understand. You say your doing a headless install ? Then it sees the drive ? How is that ? Anyway, if your installing from the USB drive and then the server reboots to complete the install, you have to remove the USB drive before the server boots up or else the install restarts. it's an endless loop.

I have a N40L. I upgraded the RAM and began a headless install of WHS 2011 from a USB drive. It sees the drive, and seems to install the files, but restarts from loading files after the first reboot. I'm not sure if I did not hook the motherboard back up correctly, or if I need to format the drive. After I didn't have success, I went into the RAID Configuration and erased the drive and then resetup the logical drive, but I don't see any difference in the behavior.T

Thanks in advance.

As for installing RAM correctly, hooking up the MB, and other user Maintenace go to HP MicroServer Self Repair Videos and review the video's as well as print out the check lists to doing user maintenance tasks -- that way you can make sure you take things apart and put them back together correctly.

Also Check out these other useful MicroServer N40L Links in this thread

And check out this info on Upgrading the BIOS if you want to do something like that.

I don't understand what you're trying to do with a headless install with RAID -- But if you're using a USB with an INI file controlling the install responses I believe you'll need to pull the USB before the 1st reboot of the install -- I had a similar issue using an INI response file installing the WHS2011 OS onto a 60GB SSD but I had a monitor attached so I would know where the install was at and thus know about when I should pull the USB out.

You might find some other useful stuff checking out the Microserver Forums

Edited by Joe_Miner