RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 - one client not waking for client backup

Jason

Understood. Yes, when this client backed up reliably overnight, it would only do so if plugged into AC adapter. Incidentally, I'm noticing that task scheduler lists a nightly backup event @ 2:19 AM. Is also reporting that the last run was last night at 2:19 AM and ran successfully. It also updated to reflect that next run will be tonight @ 2:19 AM. Clearly it thinks it's completing successfully but isn't. Also WHS2011 server side isn't showing an attempt or any type of incomplete or failed backup. Rather no new backups are listed for the client PC. more research to go.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gcoupe

• jmwills

• ikon

• Jason

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that you think about it, it's only logical as there are many functions in the restore/backup realm that will not run on battery power.

I've now tracked down the reference to the need for laptops to be plugged in for the backup to occur.

It is in Microsoft's Technical Brief for Client PC Backups. The money quote:

Laptops and other battery-powered computers must be plugged in to AC power to be automatically backed up. Although the home computer on battery power will be awakened, Windows Home Server will recognize it as battery-powered and automatic backup will not initiate.

Ah. So it's actually not the NIC that's the concern. Now I get it. Although I kind of understand MS' perspective, I still think they could have allowed backups if the remaining battery life is over an hour (or something like that).

I think, these days, with the monitoring built into modern Li-ion batteries, the time indicators are pretty reliable. Just to be sure, they could set it so the system has to indicate 2 or 3 or even 4 hours left. I think 4 hours is a bit much, since most backups only take a few minutes (after the initial one), 2 or 3 would be reasonable. I just think the AC requirement is too draconian.

"too draconian" - yes, mebbe. But on the other hand, it's a fair bet that many people would have their laptop on charge overnight, ready for the next day.

Still, I don't think there's anything spelled out in the Help information about this requirement to have laptops plugged in. The Help documentation is pretty poor anyway, and this is just a further example of why that is.

Understood. Yes, when this client backed up reliably overnight, it would only do so if plugged into AC adapter. Incidentally, I'm noticing that task scheduler lists a nightly backup event @ 2:19 AM. Is also reporting that the last run was last night at 2:19 AM and ran successfully. It also updated to reflect that next run will be tonight @ 2:19 AM. Clearly it thinks it's completing successfully but isn't. Also WHS2011 server side isn't showing an attempt or any type of incomplete or failed backup. Rather no new backups are listed for the client PC. more research to go.

Jason, I'm confused. Aren't you essentially confirming that backups will occur when the laptop is plugged in, and otherwise they won't? That's the expected behavior.

Yes, the Task Scheduler will record a backup event starting, but as Microsoft state, this will be stopped if the task finds that the laptop is only on battery power. On the server side, the logs will not show any attempt or any type of incomplete or failed backup, because as far as it is concerned, the laptop hasn't initiated one.

Jason, I'm confused. Aren't you essentially confirming that backups will occur when the laptop is plugged in, and otherwise they won't? That's the expected behavior.

Yes, the Task Scheduler will record a backup event starting, but as Microsoft state, this will be stopped if the task finds that the laptop is only on battery power. On the server side, the logs will not show any attempt or any type of incomplete or failed backup, because as far as it is concerned, the laptop hasn't initiated one.

gcoupe, sorry for the confusion. Yes, I'm already aware that 1.) the client PC must be on AC power, 2.) system is woken based on a timed event (in task scheduler) and NOT WOL. Subsequently, my client PC (laptop) is always on AC power overnight specifically for this backup requirement and the task scheduler is correcty showing a scheduled event that is in fact running 'successfully' according to the log, yet no backup is occurring. So there isn't an error per se. However, I've read somewhere else that you may need to have the 'Volume Shadow Copy' service set in Win 7 services to 'Automatic' and started and NOT Manual. Incidentally, I noticed that this service on the client was set to 'Manual.' I've since set to Automatic (started) to see if perhaps that helps.

Can anyone else confirm whether their client PCs have this service set to Automatic? perhaps it doesn't make a difference. Just chasing the pink panther.