RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
johnno43

Looking for Nas device with Dvd Drive & Sound outputs

johnno43

Hi There

I’m an independent IT Tech from the UK and I’ve got a client who is looking for a Nas device to replace his old HTPC. But he specifically wants one that has a Dvd drive and sound outputs so his wife can just pop a CD in and listen to music on their speaker system. I know the idea of a Nas is to basically keep all their media in one place and so doing away with optical drives and so called outdated media. I’ve looked and can’t find one but I wondered if anyone knew if such a device actually exists. I’ve seen Nas's with Dvd drives but not sound outputs.

Any help would be gladly appreciated

John

jmwills

How about an N40L with an aftermarket sound card?

johnno43

Hi jmwills thanks for your suggestion. I had considered a server option and i do have experience in installing and configuring the N40L, but i had not thought about it in the way you suggested. Im going to contact my client and suggest this to him, although his first criteria was for a Nas im sure he might be open to alternatives. Am i right in thinking though that the sound card would need to be low profile, as from memory the N40L is very tight when adding anything extra to it?

Also would you still go with WHS 2011 even though it will soon be no more? I know price wise here in the UK its very cheap to buy, but im now worried about support for the OS. Im also curious about this as well as i have a Server with WHS 2011 on it for my large film collection and Backups for all my systems and a couple of Business clients using Crashplan. What are your thoughts on where this OS can go in the future?

Regards

John

ikon

My understanding is that WHS2011 will be for sale to OEMs until 2025, so there should be support for a long time to come; long enough that you will want to upgrade to a newer OS long before support ends.

jmwills

You could put a full size card in there but I would not guarantee it. I have a dual NIC card in mine (running unTangle) so I know an aftermarket full height NIC card will fit.