RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

VPN on WHS -- Whats the best way to set up VPN on WHS V1

TheGuy

OK folks

I want to VPN into my WHS V1 box; what is the best way or product to use to set this up?

Do I use VPN from WHS or LogMeIn Hamachi or some other method. I want secure VPN... and wondered what was being used out there?

also any good articles on how to set up VPN on WHS? and then how to connect via Win7 Laptop?

any info would be appreciated.

Thank you :rolleyes:

First of all you need to Port Forward Port 1723 to the IP Address of your server, so make sure it has a Static IP Address. While you are in the router, make note of your EXTERNAL IP Address. Commonly referred to as the WAB+N connection. Now, head over to the Control Panel and the Applet "Network and Sharing Center.

Here you want to chose the Setup and New Connection or Network. We will setup a new connection and everything will be pretty much straight forward except for one little tiny setting.

The screenshots of my settings are here:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/gallery/album/31-vpn-setup/

Now....my connection shows mapped drives to two differrent home servers so that's why I use the IP address on one and the UNC on the other. could have just as easily used IP addresses for both AS LONG AS THEY HAVE DIFFERENT IP ADDRESSES or the host name as long as the host names are different.

This is what I used as described in the BYOB Episode 94 to copy over about 3TB of data from Korea to the US withTerraCopy.

Not a thing. Just remember to use an account for the VPN that has appropriate rights on the server shares.

I posted an article that was written by Chris Barnes. It deals with with 2008R2/WHS 2011, but I believe you can follow it close enough to get it to work on V1. A friend of mine claimed it worked for him although I never tried on V1.

http://thedigitalmediazone.com/2012/03/26/how-to-set-up-vpn-for-windows-home-server-2011/

If you really want to gain some flexibly, you can also use pfSense or Untangle. I love mine and use it almost everyday.

http://thedocsworld.net/untangle-openvpn-with-full-tunneling/

I use Hamachi with a VNC client on my WHS. I was already using Hamachi on my other computers so it seemed like a no brainer my WHS. Its simple since you only have to do minimal configs, but may not be the best solution for those who want more control.

• 2 months later...

i have found Hamachi to be a great product but here in the Uk but do experience dropouts in connection.

But with the inbuilt VPN connection in the server have found it to be more reliable