RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Time for a Hardware Upgrade, should i upgrade software too?

GeeBeeMTB

Hey no problem. You might want to consider keeping your current system and re-purposing it as a backup solution for the new system.

• Like 1

i have hardwired gigabit to enable 1080p streaming to my PS3 and the server cant cope.

Just want to pass on something from my own experience. I had a setup where my server went through two 8-port gigabit switches before getting to the HTPC. This caused a lot of stuttering and broken sound when trying to play 1080p. I bought a new 16-port gigabit switch and removed the two 8-port units. This completely cured the video/sound issues.

Just want to pass on something from my own experience. I had a setup where my server went through two 8-port gigabit switches before getting to the HTPC. This caused a lot of stuttering and broken sound when trying to play 1080p. I bought a new 16-port gigabit switch and removed the two 8-port units. This completely cured the video/sound issues.

good advice, thanks. if i go over 8 ports i will upgrade rather than add to it. i know from watching ps3mediaserver in action on the server that it couldnt keep the transcoding buffer going, hence the stuttering.

• 1 month later...

just thought i would offer a brief update.

the system is up and running now and working great. i am running 1 x 1.5TB and 2 x 2TB drives inside the box (im using drivepool with them) and a 1.5TB external drive sat on top for backup duties.

ive got sickbeard and couch potato running really nicely on it, so i can access these from my laptop web browser. The media transcoding / streaming using PS3MediaServer is really smooth thanks to the i5 processor.

• Like 1

i should also mention how helpful cloudberry backup were in letting me transfer my license to the new version of their software FoC. i thought i was going to have to buy that again.