RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Converting to the Release Candidate

pcdoc

I downloaded the RC version and attempted to upgrade the existing version and it would not allow me to perform the upgrade requiring that I do a new install. Once I completed the install, I ran into an issue I did not expect. Since I already had an existing Storage Spaces volume that I had created from drives attached to a HighPoint Controller, I expected the Storage pool not to be there until I loaded the drivers for the HighPoint card. Once the install finished it setup all the default folders on the "C" drive. I loaded the HP drivers and the Storage pool came to life. Everything seemed to be going as planned until....

Normally, as I have done in WHS-2011 several times, you can simply go into the console, click on move folder, point to the new folder, and done! Not the case here. It would not let me move any folders to a locations that already existed which I needed to do as that is where the data is.

snag0299.png

Work around:

In order to get the folder shares back to the Storage Spaces, I had tto rename the present default locations (c:\ServerFolders\XXXX) to c:\ServerFolders-OLD\XXXX. Once I did that, I had to reboot the server and when I went back it told me the folders are missing. At that point, it let me redirect the folder locations to the Storage Pool locations on the "E" drive without loosing any data.

snag0300.png

This is a bit dangerous and MS should have allowed someone to move a folder to an existing folder that contains data as there may be situations when you have to replace the drive or do a fresh install.

Very interesting, and a very good find. Hope they see this. Maybe post on somewhere on MS connect, so it can get fixed before the impending RTM.

Again, great find! Good work!

Very interesting, and a very good find. Hope they see this. Maybe post on somewhere on MS connect, so it can get fixed before the impending RTM.

Again, great find! Good work!

Thanks, great idea, I will post the issue on connect.

Interesting. Nice workaround BTW I suppose you could have just deleted the folders, or would it not let you do that (I get that you didn't want to delete them while trying to find a workaround; just thinking of a future workaround procedure for others to follow)? :)

I wouldn't think there could be a workaround for this other than to delete the folders on the new install and the OS might balk at that referring to them as system folders.

Guest no-control

Since essentials does a lot of background setup and automation, I'm not surprised. There are share permissions and AD permissions being set automagically. Deletion of the folders would likely cause issues. You work around works because you are using a wizard to reconfigure settings.

You could alternatively go into the policies and just point to the new folders. I'm not sure it would be any easier than you workaround..

I could see where it might cause issues, but pcdoc was able to rename the folders, forcing the system to ask him where they are, at which point he pointed the system to the location he wanted. That tells me 2 things:

1. if the folders can be renamed then it seems very reasonable that they can be deleted. If they were protected like special system folders, then they shouldn't be able to be renamed.
  2. since the system is being forced to ask where the folders are, I don't see that it would make any difference if they've been renamed or deleted - the system can't find them in either case, so it resorts to the same procedure.

I believe I could have deleted them but I wanted to see if this worked. Easier to rename them back if it did not work out. I have sense deleted them with no issues.

Yeah, That's what I figured. First time doing it, leave yourself a way out. Just seems that it would save a step for others in the future to simply delete the folders.