RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to Share a Drive for an Xbox

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have a s2008r2 with a raid 5 array that I want to share on my network. I can't get the xbox to access the drive. I had this problem in the past and had to add a user to the security settings but I don't recall what the user was. Anyone know what I have to do?

And before you ask, yes, I did go in and share the drive but I may not have done everything required. This is my first time trying to share a drive with s2008r2.

I believe the key was to enable the Guest account and give it permissions. That just seems to stick in my mind for some reason.

I would imagine it would be the same thing on both.

The issue likely is that the Xbox doesn't have an account that the server recognizes. I don't have an Xbox (haven't even ever played one) but I suppose it's not possible to have logins on it like you would on a Windows PC. If so, I don't know how the Xbox could get authenticated by the server, except or course if the Guest account is enabled.

Not only would you have to enable that built-in account, you would need to create a share that "Guest" has full access to.