RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JerryW

Home Server Status and Windows 8

JerryW

To all who may be wondering about HSS and to those who are not but maybe you care, I am working on a new version of HSS that will run on Windows 8. This new version will run as a service on the Windows 8 pc and will only report information to a Windows 8 live tile on the start page and notifications.

Most of the functionality in the current HSS will be removed. What you will get is toast notifications when a backup has started, stopped (whether successful or not), and updated information within the tile itself. The tile will show connectivity, backup running, backup percentage, and stopped (successful or not). Again, there will be no email notifications, dashboard launch, etc. Also, this new version will monitor WHS2011 and Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

Interested? I am planning on making this update free.

JerryW

jcollison

I like it that you are attempting to make it work with the live tiles! Interested as always!

gcoupe

Jerry, if it only reports to a live tile on the Start Screen, then I have to say that it is - at the moment - only of marginal interest to me. I spend most of my time in the Desktop of Win8. This would, of course, change were I to be using a Tablet. But at the moment, I'm not...

JerryW

Jerry, if it only reports to a live tile on the Start Screen, then I have to say that it is - at the moment - only of marginal interest to me. I spend most of my time in the Desktop of Win8. This would, of course, change were I to be using a Tablet. But at the moment, I'm not...

I understand and the current HSS works perfectly on Windows 8 and provides all that one would need for the desktop, as you may already know. However, this new app is not meant to replace the current product but to add convenience for those who wish to use the start menu, as I am finding that I would like to see the status myself since I have no choice but to have the start menu in my face.

I thought about adding this to the current HSS but I feel that it would make it bloated and possibly clunky. As it stands, MS decided that the Win RT environment would not play well, directly, with the win32. (Don't get me started on how I feel about this!)

I am an open-minded person and have always welcomed thoughts, ideas, etc.

gcoupe

Jerry, OK, understood. Bloat should be avoided!

ikon

Jerry, an interesting approach. Look forward to seeing it in action.