RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Using a SSD for a WHS 2011 OS Drive, what are the benefits?

Sevla

Hello all

Im thinking in upgrading my WHS 2011 OS drive by a SSD, apart from increased read/write speeds what will the benefits be?

Will i be able to access the dashboard quicker either localy or on the network?

Will the access of the pagefile by the system be quicker as well?

Any pros or cons on using a SSD on WHS 2011?

Thank you

Sevla

Hello all

Im thinking in upgrading my WHS 2011 OS drive by a SSD, apart from increased read/write speeds what will the benefits be?

Thank you

Sevla

Hi Sevla!

There's a write-up by PCDoc on Running an SSD on WHS

But is is discussed in a lot more detail at BYOB Episode 68 and BYOB Episode 69

Enjoy!

Edited by Joe_Miner
  • Like 1

1)Reliability (No moving parts)

2)Yes, the dashboard opens faster on both.

3)Server will boot faster and be more responsive.

Cloned my original drive using Acronis TIH 2012. Made no modifications to the system. e.g. moving pagefile. Works great.

Edited by Technogod

1. Yet to be proven
  2. Slight edge.....
  3. How many times do you reboot your server? Hopefully your data isn't on the OS drive.

Just offering a different viewpoint.

Guest no-control
  1. Yet to be proven
  2. Slight edge.....
  3. How many times do you reboot your server? Hopefully your data isn't on the OS drive.

Just offering a different viewpoint.

Quoted because truth is being spoken

Hello all

Thank you

Sevla

Really is a matter of perspective and priorities. Having ran my server both ways, for me there is no going back to physical disks on my OS's. It is not really about rebooting but everything I do is faster. I go into the console at least everyday, I run a couple background apps and I notice a big difference. In most use cases, it may not be worth it. If you have SSD's on all you machines, then I would recommend it on your WHS. If you do not have SSD's on your other machines, spend you money on those instead of the WHS. IMO, the reliability is actually less on an SSD (based on my own track history) but the speed gain is undeniable. Again a question of priorities. Presently, I have a 240 gig SSD on my WHS 2011, I use the balance as a small share for files I need to get to quickly, and a 60 gig on my 2008R2.

Guest no-control

It is not really about rebooting but everything I do is faster. I go into the console at least everyday, I run a couple background apps and I notice a big difference.

That isn't typical behavior

In most use cases, it may not be worth it.

Exactly

Sevia, It looks like your motherboard is socket 775 and supports SATA II like mine. I opted for the Corsair F120 which was refurbished and have been really pleased with this drive. I've purchased three of these drives. One for my Server and two for laptops. My main rig has a refurbished F240. I did update the firmware to Ver. 2.4.

if you opt for the 120GB you'll have to clone your original drive or do a non-standard clean install of WHS 2011 because it requires a 160GB hard drive,

My only complaint is on my dad's laptop I had to disable power saving because it would cause the laptop to hang intermittently when it resumed from power saving mode.

I agree with jmwills & pcdoc about SSD reliability: it is yet to be proven, and the evidence so far is that they are not as reliable. Hopefully that will change for the better as we go forward.

There is absolutely no doubt about the performance gain. It's the one thing that makes SSDs definitely worthwhile.

There seem to be somewhat differing opinions about SSDs on WHS2011. No doubt the reboots are faster, but some people, like pcdoc, see improved Dashboard and program performance; others not so much.

• 1 year later...

I know it is an old thread, but I just bought an Intel 335 SSD drive, 240 Go, cloned it with Acronis and didn't see any improvement yet. The Dashboard is still slow to open. I will try a fresh install and see if it changes the behavior, or if you have any suggestions, I will consider them.

Thanks,

Claude