jazzerjay

Amazon offers Glacier Cloud storage

jazzerjay

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/for-one-cent-a-month-amazon-glacier-stores-your-data-for-centuries/

Article by Arstechnia obviously.

http://aws.amazon.com/glacier

"In order to keep costs low, Amazon Glacier is optimized for data that is infrequently accessed and for which retrieval times of several hours are suitable"

http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2012/08/amazon-glacier.html

This looks like a great beginning. How much data would you trust up there to Amazon?

davidbradway

I just saw this announcement too. I might try this for archiving documents, photos, and home movies. Might be cheaper than Carbonite, etc, if I don't need to change the files...

ikon

So what are they doing, retrieving the data by ox cart?

jazzerjay

Probably just near line storage. It's probably not nearly as bad as three to four hours, but they want to put that out there to provide some sort of expectation.

ikon

C'mon now, don't spoil the imagery. Just picture a team of Red River oxen hauling a cart load of tapes up a hill to some retro looking tape drives. I know you can do it :D

jmwills

Up the hill, across the river, and thru the desert

geek-accountant

If I am reading the article right, this would still be more expensive than something like CrashPlan for someone like me. I have 1.6TB backed up to CrashPlan and using Amazon's cost of $0.01/gig per month, that would come to right around $10 per month or $120 per year for me vs a little less than $60 per year under CrashPlan. The spread gets bigger the more I put up on CrashPlan.

Sorta Oldguy

Just to bump this a bit, anyone else try Glacier? And, if so, using what software.

I just found out about it. Have been using Jungledisk, which has been very reliable and is very good if you want quick access to a cloud based backup, current business documents. But it is pricey for archival things like our 150-200 GB+ set of old pictures and movies, which is growing at least 10GB a year and very few of which we access often. They are all backed up to both my WHS and a hard drive in our safe deposit box. Just belt and suspenders here. I'm from New Orleans originally, where some bank boxes even in some of the biggest, oldest banks flooded. I'm looking for geographic diversity. I noticed that Glacier gives you price-related choices. I don't have a problem if it takes a few hours to get them back.

I trust Amazon, probably more than anyone else. Skydrive is very nice and convenient, but size is limited, and it seems like it would be a lot more hackable. Azure looks much better when apps come out for it, but is pricey like Jungledisk. Have no faith in Google long term and certainly wouldn't want to give them a credit card; I'm sure they would cross index it to snoop on me further.

Sorry for the little rants. Just outlining the factors in my decisions.

Jason

Does anyone know how to use QoS to lower the priority of Amazon Glacier backup/uploads?  With Sophos UTM I've created a DNS group for Amazon Glacier East IPs.  From there I'm limiting traffic going from my WSE12R2 box for any network service going out to Amazon Glacier.  And yet somehow my Ooma voice quality is choppy.  It's only been an issue since I've started using Amazon Glacier this week.