RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Autorestart VMPlayer when WHS reboots

Smiley

Right now I'm running WHS 2011 and have installed VMPlayer that has a VM environment of Windows 7. When my server does the windows updates and auto restarts it kills the VMPlayer. Once rebooted I have to manually log in and restart the VMPlayer. Is there a way I can make this auto-restart?

Why not try creating a Scheduled Task and specify the Run At Startup option in the advanced features (it might be called something slightly different but it is pretty obvious when you see it).

Why not try creating a Scheduled Task and specify the Run At Startup option in the advanced features (it might be called something slightly different but it is pretty obvious when you see it).

So what your saying is I should create a Scheduled Task in WHS '11 for the VMPlayer? Is there a way to specify the Win 7 vm runs at start up?

I don't use VMPlayer, so I can't be sure, but my suspicion is that auto-starting a particular VM would be either a command line parameter in the Scheduled Task or something configured within VMPlayer itself.

I was concerned that that might only work if the server is logged in. I haven't done it that way in a long time. I know the Scheduled Task way works.

Guest no-control

While you can use either method above to launch VMPlayer. VMPlayer doesn't have the capability to load guests automatically when VMPlayer is run. Sorry Charlie. You can try using VMServer which does have the option to autorun guest VMs at program launch. Or switch over to a Type I VM environment. If your looking for free Type I, Hyper-V Server, ESXi5, Xenserver are all options. If you go that route you will have virtualize everything including WHS2011.

VMPlayer doesn't have the capability to load guests automatically when VMPlayer is run. Sorry Charlie.

Not even as a parameter eh? Pity. :(