RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jmhenry5150

Streaming Inside The Network

timekills

Since it works intermittently I wouldn't normally look at permissions, but I wonder if it would work better if you enabled the guest account and gave it read access to the Videos folder. This greatly improved my access from hacked WD TV Live boxes. It also opens a (potential) security hole of course so if it doesn't improve access you should probably disable the guest account.

ikon

comparing to the original WHSv1 box is definitely worth a try.

jmwills

I know you're looking at a lot of items but Permissions is an all or nothing deal..Either an account can access a file or it can't. Are these the default shares setup by the server or some custom shares you built?

Also, go to the Dashboard and then to Server Settings and see what the settings are for Media. For mine, Media Server is "On" and Quality to "high"

jmhenry5150

Ok I made the ip6 change and it still is very slow to connect.

hmmm...

jmwills

A detailed description of the network would be appreciated. How does each machine connect to the network? Please include every device.

Guest no-control

I have Apple TV's (jailbroken with Flash Black installed - prob not important)...

Previously with my Acer OEM box (WHS v1), I have had no issues getting to the fileshares and getting the ATVs to work...

Now that I have a new home brew machine (WHS 2011), connectivity is rather hit or miss. Sometimes it won't connect like it's timing out and my family freaks out...I tell them to just keep trying and eventually it works.

Any ideas?

Make sure the server has a reservation (Static IP) you dont want the server pulling a different IP constantly. I would also consider swapping out the NIC (or add a NIC if you're using the on board). Also try swapping out the cable from the server to the whatever(wall, switch, router) also do the same for the Apple TV (gag). You never know something might have been pinched.

After you have verified your hardware is solid, trying uninstalling the NIC driver and then manually reinstall it. From there its going to be software issue.

jmhenry5150

Ok...

• Gigabit FIOS router connected to the WHS, and office computer
  • Another 10/100 switch that has all ATVs (4) connected to the Gigabit FIOS router
  • Everything is wired

I think what I should do is eleiminate the switch and make sure that there are as few hops as possible. Then worry with server settings.

I really do however need to replace that 10/100 switch with a gigabit switch.

What's bothering me is that I had no issues with the WHSv1 machine...weird.

I will report back!

jmwills

Get off the router switch and connect all to the 10/100 switch.

jmhenry5150

Really?

That's an interesting possible solution - why?

Just to get them all on the same device?

jmwills

Two reasons, number one what you mentioned and secondly Modem/Routers are notoriously bad.

You are going thru two switches to get content to the ATV's. Is streaming faster on the desktop?