RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Tape, LTO-2 for backup

DesertServer

I've started setting up a LTO-2 Ultrium backup solution to my home server. It's not the speediest solution, I think theoretical max is 80 MB/s, but it should work fine. I would like everything backed up and wanted some way to do it cheaply that could easily expand. Here's what I've purchased so far:

Dell 110T Powervault Ultrium LTO-2 $50 on ebay.

Adaptec SCSI controller pci-e $60 ebay.

10 LTO2 tapes $90 ebay (200GB/400GB per tape)

I currently have a Raid-5 array thats about 6TB total with about 2.5TB used. The hardware compression of the drive should get me over 200GB per tape but I haven't used these before, I really wanted a autoloader but they are expensive/large/loud rack devices mostly. Does anyone have any ideas for software? I want to backup files only not a complete image of the raid array or anything... I want to be able to add/check for changes against my backup. This will be on my 2008 R2 64bit box. Is there a journal that is kept on the first tape or something? I'd like to drag and drop onto the whole set of tapes etc.. Any input would be helpful!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• DesertServer

BackupExec will see those drives, but you are really getting into some real expense. A 3TB WD Red drive would run you about $150.

I think I'll need to find a alternative/cheaper solution software wise, maybe something open source or existing to 2008 r2. Can Windows see the drive natively? I think i'll be sticking to the tape solution, primarily because I'll be moving in the near future and want something that is more shock resistant than a hard drive, I also like the ability to mail the data around without worrying about it. Not sure I ever would but it seems like it might be nice to do.

Sorry, my advice would be to abandon the tape sol'n and go for hard drives. Tape is relatively expensive, requires a certain level of expertise to use, and is prone to failures. If you want to protect your drives, spend far less money and get Pelican 1300 cases to hold them.

For the past 5 years, I shipped drives between the US, Italy, Iraq, and Korea. Zero issues, however, I took great care to pack them carefully. A domestic move should not cause you any issue. The only way to know is 2008 will se the device is to hook it up.

My experiences with tape drives and in particular Dell was in a SAN environment. The Dell interface runs from a web browser but the magic happened between BackUp Exec and the tape decks. Server 2008 might see the drives if you can find the right drivers and then it would be simply a matter of using the built-in Windows Backup program.

I have more tapes in my history of working with computers go bad and give trouble than hard drives. Forgo the tape thing and get a couple of hard drives which you can pack independently.

I have more tapes in my history of working with computers go bad and give trouble than hard drives. Forgo the tape thing and get a couple of hard drives which you can pack independently.

there is nothing you haven't seen go bad. I think you are bad Karma.

We have yearly tapes from mid 90's until 2002 and then monthly tapes from 2002 til 2010, and then weekly tapes after that. Every tape before 2010 was recently tested by doing a restore. 100% success rate.

there is nothing you haven't seen go bad. I think you are bad Karma.

We have yearly tapes from mid 90's until 2002 and then monthly tapes from 2002 til 2010, and then weekly tapes after that. Every tape before 2010 was recently tested by doing a restore. 100% success rate.

Count your blessings. Someone at your workplace must be favoured by the Gods. Our LTO robots have broken down many times..... and they ain't cheap brother.

Got that right.....I cannibalized brand new units while in Iraq just to keep the old ones running.