RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Bad Drive

ImTheTypeOfGuy

The smart data on my WHS v1 has been telling me for a while now that a couple of my hard drives are losing sectors. One shot from about 50 to 125 this past week so I guess it may be time to replace it? Or, do I wait until failure occurs and really see how good duplication and everything works. Don't worry, I have four copies: two on WHS when you include duplication, one on my s2008r2, and one on crashplan. I think I am covered.

The smart data on my WHS v1 has been telling me for a while now that a couple of my hard drives are losing sectors. One shot from about 50 to 125 this past week so I guess it may be time to replace it? Or, do I wait until failure occurs and really see how good duplication and everything works. Don't worry, I have four copies: two on WHS when you include duplication, one on my s2008r2, and one on crashplan. I think I am covered.

I use StableBit Scanner also for that very reason -- to give me a head's-up before it fails.

If it was me -- I'd RMA the mother and get it out of there.

Backup systems like seatbelts and crash bags -- they're good to have if the worse happens -- but I wouldn't deliberately drive into a wall to test them.

This thing has been running for about 5 or 6 years so no warranty on it. It had a good life I guess it is ready to pass the baton. It has been uninstalling the drive since this morning so I am close to getting it removed and replaced by a new drive I have. Hope it all goes well. I have never had to remove a drive.

I am shocked at how risk averse you people are. :)

Got the drive removed and a new one in to replace. My v1 is in an old XPS420. It may be time to retire it and build a new v1 server.

It's your call or course, but if a troubled drive is out of warranty, I SpinRite it. Over 98% of the drives I SpinRite go on to new lives in another project of mine or someone else's, like my kids'.