RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Freeeeeeedom from sky tv

bannockburn1314

so something like this is no good for me ?

http://www.maplin.co...rtsatonpc_rfmod

as suggested here in option 2

http://www.radioandt...itetvonapc.html

Those could help but, remember, as far as I know you would need a programming subscription to use the dish, so you wouldn't be getting rid of your Sky TV contract. I don't know of any way to use a sat dish to get over-the-air broadcasts. However, a UHF antenna should be able to receive the over-the-air stuff.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bannockburn1314

• ikon

• gcoupe

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest no-control

Let me first say I have no idea how sky works. Here in the states we use an antenna to pull over the air broadcasts. From there its piped into a tuner (either internal or external).

for the hardware this is the minimum spec I would use.

G520

H77

4GB RAM

2 HDD 1 for OS & Programs / 1 for local content storage like recorded TV shows.

Case

400w PSU

Tuner (OTA/CableCard)

DVD/BD ODD is optional.

I just recently upgraded mine it works great. And heres the original HTPC.

Next is the choice to use XBMC. Can I ask why? Better yet can I ask why NOT windows media center?

I use windows media center, with just a few plug ins. Its works flawlessly when I don't mess with it.

bannockburn1314

Those could help but, remember, as far as I know you would need a programming subscription to use the dish, so you wouldn't be getting rid of your Sky TV contract. I don't know of any way to use a sat dish to get over-the-air broadcasts. However, a UHF antenna should be able to receive the over-the-air stuff.

Did a bit of checking and it seems that my existing sky dish and twin leads can be used with this here and this can be done without any subscription card.

Question so this tuner allows me to pull in free to air on my htpc and record/pause and rewind etc , would i have the same functions within xbmc?

Meaning with this card or similar could i record something in xbmc?

bannockburn1314

Next is the choice to use XBMC. Can I ask why? Better yet can I ask why NOT windows media center?

I use windows media center, with just a few plug ins. Its works flawlessly when I don't mess with it.

To be honest i have no idea whats out there.

I basically realised sky had to go and googled alternatives to sky and XBMC was what came up most in the results.

I originally was thinking about going with a jailbroken apple tv but then realised i wouldn't be able to use this to record anything.

So thats how i got to htpc running xbmc , i basically chose xbmc because a lot of things like icefilms etc and things you dont need a subscription for.

I'm guessing your not a fan of xbmc ?

i believe i have the option to use win7 media center with xbox as a plugin but that requires buying a copy of windows and my budget is limited

Did a bit of checking and it seems that my existing sky dish and twin leads can be used with this here and this can be done without any subscription card.

Question so this tuner allows me to pull in free to air on my htpc and record/pause and rewind etc , would i have the same functions within xbmc?

Meaning with this card or similar could i record something in xbmc?

Er, but this Hauppauge card requires Microsoft Windows - as far as I know, there are no Linux drivers for it? You mentioned elsewhere that your budget was limited and didn't want to buy a copy of Windows.

Well, I am certainly learning some new things. I had no idea there are free-to-air satellite programs. It surprises me really. I think it's great, but who pays to have a satellite put into orbit and then makes (some) of the programming free? It seems counter-intuitive. I guess advertising must cover the costs?

I also think you need to invest more time into finding out what free-to-air stuff you are likely to be able to receive. Before investing in any hardware, find out what content is available to you, then base your hardware around that.

Well, I am certainly learning some new things. I had no idea there are free-to-air satellite programs. It surprises me really. I think it's great, but who pays to have a satellite put into orbit and then makes (some) of the programming free? It seems counter-intuitive. I guess advertising must cover the costs?

Ah, you see, there is life outside the good old US of A after all... :D

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Ah, you see, there is life outside the good old US of A after all... :D

How well I know that..... I'm Canadian :D

Are you telling us there are places other than the US? I have never heard of them.