RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Intel adds TRIM capability to SSD RAID

timekills

Site says it is only for 7 series chipsets, but there are reports of it working on others also (i.e. p67 and x58.) Note significant improvement on average write and read speeds with and without TRIM enabled, even after a format of the non TRIM enabled array.

New (before use) RAID benchmark:

rst10-fresh-570x424.png

Used RAID (no TRIM) even after format:

rst10-used-reformatted-570x423.png

Used RAID with TRIM:

rst11-used-reformatted-570x423.png

Nice catch. After reading about it supporting drivers 11 and higher I had to go quickly check my driver numbers -- 11.5! Life is good.

RAID with TRIM = winning :D

I tried these drivers a couple of weeks ago on my dev machine. And while it benchmarked very fast (two SATA6G Mushkin 256GB SSD in RAID0), it was not stable. In particular there was BSOD everytime on wake from sleep. On top of that, the difference was barely noticeable doing normal computing tasks and you have to pay a huge boot time penalty to have SATA In RAID mode (option ROM init). I played with it for a while, but then decided having my computer sleep properly was much more important than the extra performance. So, changed back to non-RAID0 MSAHCI drivers, and restored from backup.

I'll take a look at it again should they put out some new drivers/BIOS upgrade.

I tried these drivers a couple of weeks ago on my dev machine. And while it benchmarked very fast (two SATA6G Mushkin 256GB SSD in RAID0), it was not stable. In particular there was BSOD everytime on wake from sleep. On top of that, the difference was barely noticeable doing normal computing tasks and you have to pay a huge boot time penalty to have SATA In RAID mode (option ROM init). I played with it for a while, but then decided having my computer sleep properly was much more important than the extra performance. So, changed back to non-RAID0 MSAHCI drivers, and restored from backup.

I'll take a look at it again should they put out some new drivers/BIOS upgrade.

Oh, so it really is like Charlie Sheen's 'winning', illusory.

If there are issues waking up from sleep then there sounds like other problems. I know - big help. I agree with the extra time on boot from the RAID having to read the BIOS info, but I suppose it depends on how often you reboot if the speed or reliability (depending on 0/1/5) is worth it.

I'll tell you the speed of two SSDs in RAID 0 is no illusion.