RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
coffejor

Why upgrade the NIC on the N40L?

coffejor

Hello Everyone,

I finally picked up an N40L to use as a FreeNAS box and am have been learning a lot from the forums. I see that Joe Miner and others have recommend upgrading the NIC (I think the recommendation was the Intel EXPI9301CTBLK), but what's the benefit? Do you see much of a performance bump?

Maybe this is the wrong forum, but does anyone have experience with FreeNAS (FreeBSD) compatibility with the Intel EXPI9301CTBLK, especially in the N40L?

Thanks for any and all insight!

-Jordan

Joe_Miner

Hello Everyone,

I finally picked up an N40L to use as a FreeNAS box and am have been learning a lot from the forums. I see that Joe Miner and others have recommend upgrading the NIC (I think the recommendation was the Intel EXPI9301CTBLK), but what's the benefit? Do you see much of a performance bump?

Maybe this is the wrong forum, but does anyone have experience with FreeNAS (FreeBSD) compatibility with the Intel EXPI9301CTBLK, especially in the N40L?

Thanks for any and all insight!

-Jordan

The NIC in the MicroServer N40L is a good Gigabit NIC -- the only reason I have added NIC cards was to have additional NIC's to dedicate to Virtual Machines I was running on the MicroServer that way the Host OS on the MicroServer would use the built-in NIC and the Virtual Machines (Child Partitions) would use a seperate NIC.

jcollison

Same here

jmwills

and to also run it as a Firewall/Router

coffejor

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I was happy with the transfer rate I was getting across my LAN, but I thought I might be missing something. Thanks for the insight!

-Jordan