RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

File move/synchronization recommendation: not AllwaySync, not Teracopy, not SyncToy

juzzle

Hi All,

I've noticed a few mentions of software solutions people are using to synchronize files between drives and servers. What's inspired me to post this mini review is recommendation (some on the podcast) for "Allway Sync" with which I and others had a horrible experience.

Anyway, I've tried them all. Whilst they're not directly comparable applications, we all use one of them to affect file synchronization (or moving). Here are some quick thoughts on each:

• Allway Sync - 3/10 - horrible interface, too hard to understand (may have improved), too easy to make a mistake. I paid for the full version, a couple of weeks after which it bit me very hard - a friend also suffered the same fate. A possibly related post is "AlwaysSync users BEWARE"
  • Teracopy - 6/10 - pretty, but in practise is a just a slightly better than the Windows Explorer dialogues
  • SyncToy - 7/10 - a good simple interface with stored folder pairs, performance isn't great, but it's free. I still use it's silent mode syncing (which is very good).
  • Beyond Compare - 10/10 - this software is much more than just a synchronisation package, however, it does that and many other things extremely well. I am very impressed with the software, the company and the support. The interface takes a little bit to get used to (because it is very capable, thus you can expect that), however, it is brilliant. Just one tip for users with server share for any session (enable "Follow Symbolic Links"). I have been using this for a year or so now and have no hesitation in recommending it. They also offer a generous evalution period (30 days of use - not 30 days after installation - so you can give it a proper try out). You can find it at Scooter Software

NB: I have no affiilliation whatsoever with any of these companies.

You might like to add your favourite syncing software to this list.

Enjoy!

Edited by juzzle

Agree with the discussion, just not the order. I am a visual learner so the easier an interface is to understand makes it easier for me to use. However, AllwaySync was just easy for me to use.

Agree with the discussion, just not the order. I am a visual learner so the easier an interface is to understand makes it easier for me to use. However, AllwaySync was just easy for me to use.

Readying the post my first thought is this gentleman must work for Beyond Compare. Then when I read his disclaimer I was positive of it. I have never heard of anyone calling alwaysync difficult.

I own and use Beyond Compare, and it is useful, no doubt about it, but I certainly wouldn't give it 10/10. I find its interface fairly arcane in itself, so I doubt it's that much easier than AllWaySync.

Agreed.

I'd give AllwaySync a 10/10

I'd also give TerraCopy a 10/10

No problems with either and both are easy to use. I have 2 pro copies of AllwaySync because I use them so much.

I am always open to new and better software, however I would not call this in the same sequence either. Software tends to be a personal thing however the quoted reference is flawed. If this works for you then use it. As long as it is doing what it needs to and the bottom line is that you have a backup. But I certainly would not attempt to impose this type of rating.

• 2 months later...

Hi - at the risk of being off-topic - can I please ask for advice and guidance for an enterprise synchronisation tool? I'm working for a company that has been using Mobiliti from Paketeer but this is end of life and I'm looking for a replacement. While Mobiliti had a range of features, I'm really looking for just synchronising the users settings and files for the Laptops which are used on-site and off-site (r.g. via RAS). We use Outlook clients against central Exchange servers and they are already synchronised. While we currently use XP against 2008R3 servers, this new application will be probably rolled out alongside W7. I don't know where to start. I've heard that sureSynch could be the answer, but am concerned that this knowledge could be a few years out of date. Any pointers?