RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

multiple computers (including a laptop) sharing documents S2012E

flyboyco

We have several PC's at home, and have used whs v1 (and 2011) to store our documents. My wife carries a older netbook for work. I use a sync software to keep everything up to date. This works, but I know there's a better way to do this.

I have been using server 2012e as a VM and have really enjoyed working with it, except for the time I formatted one of the drives in the pool... And the current problems that I have had when trying to transfer large amounts of data to the pool... So I don't use the pool... but I digress.

I have been using a few of out test machines with the domain controller. It has been a learning curve, but I can appreciate the advantage of the DC.

I am looking for suggestions on how to set our domain. If we all share the same documents folder, It works great for all the machines in the house, but whats the best way to sync with the laptops? I know there's a setting to make everything available offline, but that really sucked on XP, and I haven't used it since.

Also, it looks like VPN is really easy to set up. I havent used a VPM in years, and was wondering if it would also allow for the offline sync.

The VPN on 2012E is very easy to setup if all you need to do access folders/system and has worked well in the limited testing I have done. If you need more than that, there are other alternatives. I will leave the DC question for the experts in DC

Offline files in Windows 7 is vastly improved over what it was in XP. I use it with a couple of folders on my laptop to sync to a WHS2011 box and have had no problems with it. I think once or twice I have had a conflict because I hadn't turned my laptop back on to sync after working on a file and openned it on the desktop too, but overall I have been very happy with using offline files. I also use SyncToy to handle one specific folder, mainly because I want to exclude one of it's subfolders, as well as the program that's using the data doesn't like the network path for some reason (lightroom refuses to open files from a network path) and that has worked very well also.

The VPN on 2012E is very easy to setup if all you need to do access folders/system and has worked well in the limited testing I have done. If you need more than that, there are other alternatives. I will leave the DC question for the experts in DC

Thank you. I think I will give it a shot on an older laptop and take it to my office before I set my wife up with it.

Offline files in Windows 7 is vastly improved over what it was in XP. I use it with a couple of folders on my laptop to sync to a WHS2011 box and have had no problems with it. I think once or twice I have had a conflict because I hadn't turned my laptop back on to sync after working on a file and openned it on the desktop too, but overall I have been very happy with using offline files. I also use SyncToy to handle one specific folder, mainly because I want to exclude one of it's subfolders, as well as the program that's using the data doesn't like the network path for some reason (lightroom refuses to open files from a network path) and that has worked very well also.

My wife takes a little netbook to work, but prefers to use the desktop at the house. It has been hard to explain why files are different on each machine. She also uses Dropbox at work, and has just figured out how to use it.

Which OS would you be using for the Domain?

I am going to try to use s2012e I think (without the drive pooling), and I use win7 pro on the netbook. She will also sync to a 2tb USB hard drive at work, so if the server makes a mess, I can hopefully survive... Did I mention how patient she is?

Thanks guys!

-keith