RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Smartepants

Proposed upgrade for my primary desktop

Mr_Smartepants

I'm planning on rebuilding my primary desktop machine. We have many notebooks in the house but this is the only tower desktop machine and serves as my primary workstation/gaming rig and HTPC for the kids. To be fair, I do more general purpose work (software code, VMware, Office, DVD-transcoding, photo/video editing) than actual gaming. The last game I played was Portal2 about 4 months ago. (I've been busy). I also don't plan on doing any over-clocking at all. Stock speeds are fine.

The main reason for the upgrade (got the itch) is because the SATA controller is being saturated by my current drive setup and I want to use the drives for their advertised speeds! ;)

(links/prices from Newegg)

Current build:

Case: Antec P182

PSU: Seasonic M12II SS-500-GM

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4

CPU: Intel Q6600

RAM: 8GB DDR2 (OCZ & Geil)

GPU: EVGA Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB

SSD: OCZ Agility3 120GB

RAID: 2x Seagate ST2000DM001 in RAID-1 (onboard Intel controller)

Audio: Asus Xonar DX

I plan on migrating several components to the new build, namely the SSD/RAID, GPU & Audio.

I plan on buying 2 more of the Seagate 2TB drives and making the data-RAID a 3-drive RAID-5 with one hot spare.

I plan on keeping the GPU for now but it'll get upgraded once I get fed up with gaming performance, which is fine for me.

New build:

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium)

PSU: Seasonic X-650 Gold SS-650KM

Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770S (Ivy Bridge)

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair XMS DDR3-1333 - OR - 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair XMS DDR3-1600 (I can't decide, same price)

CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper-212-Evo

GPU/SSD/RAID from above. RAID using onboard Intel controller.

The leftover parts (case/mobo/cpu/ram) will eventually be used to build a replacement Home Server. I may or may not buy a decent RAID card for this potential server.

RAID card: Highpoint RocketRAID 2720SGL

I can't find the RAM on the ASRock compatibility list, so I'm open to suggestions. My only concern with other RAM types is I've read the clearances on that board with that cooler make the RAM choices low-profile.

I've never used an ASRock board before. I'm partial to Gigabyte/Asus.

Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

krom

I've always liked the P182 but you can't go wrong with the Fractal case. Given No-controls comment maybe you want to look at moving down in CPU and getting a newer more power friendly GPU. I'm saying that however not knowing how the 8800GTS is on power.

Also a question for you, what did you mean by your statement about buying a "decent" RAID card? Are you not happy with your Highpoint or are you looking at at higher end LSI or the like?

Mr_Smartepants

Also a question for you, what did you mean by your statement about buying a "decent" RAID card?

I don't have a RAID card. I simply meant buying a dedicated RAID card to move away from the onboard RAID solution I've been using so far. The RR 2720sgl would give me 8 SATA ports for a server RAID solution.

For CPU choice, I was toying with the idea of a i5 3570 also. My criteria was:

1) low TDP output

2) virtualization extensions

3) quad-core speed!

4) hyperthreading (nice to have)

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

pcdoc

Good choice overall. Stay with the 1600 on the RAM for the same price as I find it runs smoother with faster ram. As for the brand, get what you are comfortable with which for me is only GSkill. Already had two sets of Corsair go flaky so I do not buy anymore. This of course if my opinon and other have had great luck with Corsair.

ikon

I used to buy Corsair exclusively, but they seem to have slipped in their standards or quality control, or whatever. It's unfortunate.

pcdoc

I used to buy Corsair exclusively, but they seem to have slipped in their standards or quality control, or whatever. It's unfortunate.

That it is. They where the kings of RAM at one time especially in the X58 days, that was the only RAM I could get to be stable. Now, it is a crap shoot...

Guest no-control

Their Dominator stuff is still quality. But these days RAM is RAM I shop off price mostly.

pcdoc

Their Dominator stuff is still quality. But these days RAM is RAM I shop off price mostly.

Agreed, the dominator stuff is expensive but very good. I just did not like the Vengeance stuff.

Mr_Smartepants

Stage-1 of the upgrade purchase is done.

I ordered the following:

Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770S (Ivy Bridge)

RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper-212-Evo

The mainboard came with 2x4GB RAM modules for free, so I ordered 2 more for 16GB total. No expansion without replacement though. :(

I didn't order the case or PSU because NewEgg wanted $100 just for shipping. Outrageous! I'm looking for somewhere local.

Stage-2 will be Case, PSU, GPU (maybe a GTX 660).