RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS V1 - HP EX490 doesn't register 3TB HD properly.

GabonPhil

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find similar relevant posts.

Have just purchased two Seagate Barracuda 3TB hard drives to add to my EX490. Both of them show up as just 746GB in server storage rather than 3TB.

Presume there is a limit to HD size, can anyone confirm?

Attached is a screen shot of my storage with one of them added. The new HD is the non-storage one at the top. Tried adding them, but they stay at 746GB.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers,

Phil,

Phil

2012-08-11 new 3TB HD shows up as 746 GB.pdf

Server 2003 (WHS v1 x86) will not see GPT partitions as one single volume. In other words, you will get two volumes from the drive, 1 2TB and a 1 TB and not a single 3TB volume.

• 3 weeks later...

That's not correct. By default, it will format them as MBR, which will cause that issue. However, if you open up disk management, and delete all the partitions on the drive, and then convert the disk to GPT and create a partition, then it will see the proper, and full size.

However, if you try to add the disk to the pool, it by default sets the drive as MBR, and you have to "hack" Drive Extender to be able to use the disk as GPT. Namely, because Microsoft has no desire to test a scenario where it's set to GPT instead of MBR on a product that's more than dead to them....

From what I understand, when adding a drive to the pool, Windows will repartition and format the drive MBR and therefore back to the 2TB limit. You can only use the 2.72TB as a non pooled drive or as a backup since you can skip the format part when adding as a backup drive.

Mostly true. If your comfortable with registry hacking, you can reformat the drive as GPT, add reconfigure the storage manager to use the disk. It's not exactly simple, and involves a lot of digging through the registry. (or convincing somebody at Microsoft to change the diskpart command to format as GPT instead of MBR....) So, the process is really for the brave of heart, or more advanced "enthusiasts" seeking to extend the life of v1 way past its expiration date :)

https://spackle.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/going-for-3tb-in-whs-v1/

Up to you, but why run a reg hack on a storage system that Microsoft does not want to support? It's your data!!

My definition of 'backup' includes verification. I drove people nuts at work by often saying, "A backup without verification isn't a backup".

• Like 1

It's a major pain to get setup, but once done it works alright.. I've done it, Diehard has done it..although I think there is some question whether or not the sata controllers on the MediaSmart servers will support a 2TB+ drive. I'm not sure anyone has gotten one working on one of those.

I tested it on a LSI based card. see this thread: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1409-add-in-for-gpt-and-4k-drives-in-v1/