RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What is best mini ITX board with UEFI

edamiga1

Guest no-control

How much overhead does unTangle require typically? An H77 and 1156 CPU seems to be rather overkill for a router. Would an E-350 or something similar work well?

I've only tested UT in a VM so just wondering....

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• pcdoc

• jmwills

How much overhead does unTangle require typically? An H77 and 1156 CPU seems to be rather overkill for a router. Would an E-350 or something similar work well?

I've only tested UT in a VM so just wondering....

The answer depends on what you have activated. Features like spam filtering, AV, and phishing modules take some overhead. My Atom 525 did a great job for everything prior to the tunneling feature. I think it would still be enough in terms of power and the only reason I am replacing it is that I am having a drop issues with the internal NIC recently, so rather than replace it with another atom, I opted for a bit more HP. The only measurable way I can tell the overhead is to measure the ping speed vs my Dlink 655. The UT box with the Full version of the AV and most features turned on using the atom went from 9-10ms on the Dlink to 30-40ms on the UT box. I hope to see that reduce with the new hardware. Not a big deal for everyday use but an avid gamer may not like it.

I would agree that an H77 and 1156 are overkill. I forget what CPU I'm running on my UT; it's more than an Atom, but not as much as an i3; a Core2Duo comes to mind, maybe even a P4.

I do not have the full AV running, only the packages that come with the free version. I find the prices of the pay versions kinda high for home use. I would certainly consider the pay versions for a business, but not home.

I would agree that an H77 and 1156 are overkill. I forget what CPU I'm running on my UT; it's more than an Atom, but not as much as an i3; a Core2Duo comes to mind, maybe even a P4.

I do not have the full AV running, only the packages that come with the free version. I find the prices of the pay versions kinda high for home use. I would certainly consider the pay versions for a business, but not home.

Yeah I agree but the full AV is not as bad as the rest $108 for the full year. Considering you hit it at the router level it is not bad. One could use the free MS version and add this at the router level for full house protection.

Joe_Miner

I'm just surprised it's not a Gigabyte -- I think I felt the axis of the earth's spin shift.......................

Guest no-control

I'm just surprised it's not a Gigabyte -- I think I felt the axis of the earth's spin shift.......................

That's because they don't make one...otherwise I'm pretty sure the clown blue and white scheme would be in full effect.