RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Weird quirk about the remote web connection site...

SolidSonicTH

If you use the Remote Desktop function in order to get to the server, then go out to the desktop from that remote view (I do it by launching the updates window from the Server Settings in Dashboard then backing up to the desktop), you can launch a full Remote Desktop session on the server (I didn't think this would work since I assumed it was treating the connection you made from the website as a single entity and thus block any attempt to launch another Remote session in the same machine).

I used that to get to the taskbar, which I needed for something I was doing.

Now that I've explained this, perhaps someone could tell me if I could have done this simpler...

So, you used the Web App Remote connection to get into the server sitting on your local LAN? If so, why?

Some routers will allow this action while others will not.

You can launch RDP sessions from one computer to another almost ad infinitum. I have even RDP'd into one computer and used that session to RDP back to the computer I'm on.

That's not very practical of course, but I have an example that is. Say you're working on a system that is supposed to allow remote access for a client from outside the LAN. How do you test whether the remote access is working if your on the same LAN as the target computer? You can certainly RDP into the target computer and test whether that works, and it's a valid starting point. But, it does not prove that you will be able to RDP to the target computer from outside the LAN.

So, when I have occasion to do this kind of thing, I will often RDP into either my WHS2011 or, more likely, my Win7 desktop at home. Then, I will use RDP from my home computer to try to connect to the target computer on the LAN I'm currently connected to. I've never had a situation where a client was unable to RDP to the target computer after I've done that test.

Now THAT would be an accomplishment. I'd videocap that for Steve G to watch :D

Speaking of which, that relative that I'm helping with his IT infrastructure? I've already saved 2 of his clients' data and re-certified a half dozen HDD's for future use, using SpinRite of course! :) It doesn't do everything, but what it does it does very, very well.

So, you used the Web App Remote connection to get into the server sitting on your local LAN? If so, why?

Some routers will allow this action while others will not.

It wasn't on my LAN. It was another PC I have elsewhere that I needed to shut off. The reason I needed the Home Server as a go-between was because I run Windows Live Mesh on the WHS for synchronization purposes (to keep a certain folder up to date on any PC I use), and thus can also use the remote software portion of the program. I couldn't open it from the limited-view Remote Desktop that you can get by just going to the remote web site so I launched a separate RDP inside of the server to connect back on itself so I could get the full desktop view, launch Windows Live Mesh's remote software, and shut off the PC I couldn't reach otherwise (this is all because I was doing this from work and don't have WL Mesh installed on a work PC).