RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Time Machine Backup to WHS 2011?

texasPI

My wife recently bought a MacBook Pro and I'm not sure how to make it backup to WHS, if it's even possible. I installed the connector software on it but it does not seem to work properly. It seems, from my recent searching, that Time Machine backup to WHS was broken with the Lion update and this Mac is running Mountain Lion, the latest OSX version.

So, how are you guys backing up your Macs? I've got a couple of hard drives laying around that I could use for a NAS. It seems that Time Machine works with FreeNAS as a target. I'm currently backing up the machine to an external disk but I'd like something more automated and set-it-and-forget-it for ease of use.

Thoughts?

Edited by texasPI

• 1 month later...

Did you ever get this working? I long ago assumed that using Time Machine to WHS 2011 was a lost cause but I'd love to find a way to do it - even if it requires some manual hackery.

I too gave up on backing up to WHS 2011. I'm not saying it's impossible, I just couldn't get it to work. I threw together an unRAID server with a few spare parts and the Mac has been backing up to that. I haven't been able to succesfully restore from the unRAID server though. So, at this time, I'm backing up to an external hard drive with Time Machine and SuperDuper!

I haven't been able to succesfully restore from the unRAID server though.

Kind of a critical problem. Congratulations though. At least you tested to see if it would work. I can't tell you how many people I've run into over the years that did backup after backup without ever testing restoration. The most common response I got was, "Why wouldn't it work; it's backing up OK?" or "I never thought about that. Do you mean it could be a problem?".

Kind of a critical problem. Congratulations though. At least you tested to see if it would work. I can't tell you how many people I've run into over the years that did backup after backup without ever testing restoration. The most common response I got was, "Why wouldn't it work; it's backing up OK?" or "I never thought about that. Do you mean it could be a problem?".

Agreed! I've learned that the hard way as I'm sure others on here have too. A backup that can't be restored is not a backup. :rolleyes: