RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The Home Server Show 191

hazzey

I may be being too dense tonight, but I was confused about a portion of the discussion of Windows 8. It seemed like a fair amount of the discussion was about the wonders of "just typing" to find and run apps or open the control panel. Isn't this feature just like the start menu search in Windows 7? (at least with an additional press of the windows key).

I haven't used Windows 8 yet, but the description sounded just like the quick search in Windows 7.

As I am typing this, I am thinking that maybe the discussion was focused on ways to work around the metro interface when a keyboard is available. Am I misunderstanding a new feature of Windows 8?

Hazzey

The search features in Windows 8 far exceed Windows 7. It locates apps and other settings faster without the use of any keys. You can just start typing. You kind of have to try it to appreciate it but it is easier and faster. Now if they can just let us customize the tiles more....

Hazzey - I agree with Doc and I was the one on the show who talks a bunch about it. Thanks for the feedback btw!

I think it makes a big difference when you actually use it on a real machine when you are trying to get some real work done. It's not a matter of working around the Windows 8 interface, but working thru it. Give it a try when you have a moment.

Mike - you have to believe that tile customization is coming and coming soon.

I recall posting about the search capability of Win8 when we first started talking about it. I recall saying how I felt it actually made the system usable, and even faster than Win7.

I think MS is right on spot with this one. More and more people who use Windows are real typists. The young kids can type so fast it makes my head spin. Moving to an interface where touch and typing are the main ways to navigate seems to make a lot of sense.

I wonder if they have set the install to automatically index the drive at certain intervals.

OK, I know I'm in the minority, but I like Windows 8 and don't think the "Modern" is all that bad -- as I blast thru it to the desktop :)