RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restore WHS-V1 to a Hyper-V child partition

Joe_Miner

Mostly to see if it could be done --- I restored a WHS-V1 backup of an old XP-Home machine to a Hyper-V VHD. The only problem will be once it's restored you'll need to active Windows again -- luckily I still had the key for that machine -- [unfortunately there's another really old XP machine that I do want to restore but I'm not sure where the heck the key is for that thing :( ]

The take-hm info here is that it can be done it's just you will need legal keys to activate windows and probably everything else that required activation on that machine.

Haven't tried it yet but this should also work with restores from other platforms like WHS-2011.

Edited by Joe_Miner

I'll second Last Pass! Great little tool.

Joe, have you ever thought about using XP Mode from inside a Windows 7 machine? It's a free version of XP.

-snip-

Joe, have you ever thought about using XP Mode from inside a Windows 7 machine? It's a free version of XP.

Yes. I have XP Mode installed on my main desktop with Windows Vurtual PC. It was my First experience with VM's -- even before OB. I remember getting some pretty spectacular errors when I tried to run both at the same time :(

I guess my whole point of this thread was my discovery that (if I have the appropriate SW keys) it's fairly simple to restore from a WHS-V1 backup to a Hyper-V machine. That's pretty neat in my book. I'm sure most everyone else already knew this was doable -- it was news to me that I could actually do it.

I tried it with my Dad's old pc because I had backed it up before formatting it's HD then realized there were a few things I should have gotten off of it first and that's when I thought "hey, this would be a good time to try............."

Now it has me wondering about if I were to install W8 onto my main desktop I could put my old W7 Desktop into a Hyper-V child under W8 on the main desktop or migrate it to my Hyper-V Lab set-up.

I believe once you do that particular process, the SID of the machine is reset causing the Product Key to become invalid.