RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ouch... Which drives were I using...

flyboyco

So, I use server win 2008 and hyper-v. I have a server 2012 essentials vm. I really like 2012, and will switch to it when available, but not as a vm.

I put a new drive in the server (2008) and it reorganized all my drives. I had 2 drives that were "offline" in disk management and was using them in a drive pool for all my data. I think I know which disks I was using, and how they were listed in disk management (disk 1 and disk 3), but now ther have different designations and of course, server 2012 wont start now. Does anyone know how to change them back , and is there a way to keep them from changing again, or is this an inherent issue with vm's when I add drives to a machine hosting hyper-v?

I think I know what you did and can fix it as long as you know the original configuration. Edit the settings for the VM's to realign the correct drives back to their original state. This may require you to bring all the drives back online with the host server.

• Like 1

jmwills, I do know the number that theserver had assigned to the drives, but dont know how to change them back in disk management.

ikon, when I put the new drive in, it changed all the disk assignments, so I took it back out, thinking it would go back like it was, but no luck. they were reorganized...

Is there a way to force disk numbers in disk management?

Right click the drive in Computer Mgt and the option will be there to change drive letters, however, this should not matter I think as long as you change the setting in Hyper-V management. Disk numbers should not matter in the scheme of things.

Finally figured it out... If you manage to format one of the drives that the server 2012 vim is using for the drive pool, things go really bad. Hyper-v would not even let me remove the scsi drive since it couldn't find it. I had to delete the vm completely and start over... I thought I had mapped all my drives. Apparently I missed.

For the record, server 2012 essentials was even easier to install the second time!