RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
eagle63

"Router is not configured correctly" error

eagle63

Hey guys, I've had this alert pop-up on my 2011 WHS for months now and I can't figure it out. There's nothing wrong with my router configuration that I can tell.. I can connect to my WHS just fine from outside the house using my *.homserver.com address. Even if I tell WHS to ignore this error, it doesn't - it still pops-up and send me an email almost daily.

I know I'm not the only one to have this problem but I thought I'd see if anyone out there had any ideas to make it go away. Also, I should mention that I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router running Tomato firmware. Thanks!

jmwills

Ignore it....I have the same error and I know all is working well.

eagle63

I know, I have been ignoring it but I still hate seeing that red "X" when I log in! :)

I actually just tried something I hadn't tried before which seems promising: I actually turned uPnP OFF on my router, because I already have the correct port (443) forwarded manually. Then I went through the router setup wizard again in the Remote Web Access settings and told it that I would "configure my router manually". This seems to have cleared the alert, at least for now..

I'll report back and see if this ends up working long term. Also, I can't think of a good reason why I would WANT uPnP enabled on my router... Isn't it mainly used so that other applications can automatically configure router settings for non-technical folks?

jmwills

Oh heavens yes turn off UPnP.....that should clear up the alert because I do not see the alert. You just closed a MAJOR security gap in your router.

ikon

As jmwills said, you just closed a major security hole. Did you ever!

You are correct, UPnP is designed to let applications make configuration changes to your router, and that's EXACTLY why it's so dangerous. If applications you do want to use can change your router, so can mailcious ones. It's a horrible technology that should just go away.