RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Changes in TechNet Subscriptions.....

jmwills

Seems like we should have gotten a notification from Microsoft if they changed the terms of the subscription. I can understand them doing this. There are many (even on here) that have stated they don't renew every year because their keys still work and there was nothing new they had to have right away.

And I believe this is only for new subscriptions. Everything else is grandfathered in. Whew.....glad I'm a Grand Dad.....whatta say Joe_Miner?

And I believe this is only for new subscriptions. Everything else is grandfathered in. Whew.....glad I'm a Grand Dad.....whatta say Joe_Miner?

That appears to be only partially correct. From that article you linked above:

• New and renewing TechNet subscribers get time-based rights to use the products during the subscription period only.

Previously, subscribers were allowed to keep using the products that they had installed on systems. With the change this is no longer the case.

The subscription provides you with access to software and associated benefits. When your subscription concludes, you will no longer have access to the software or any associated benefits and must discontinue your use of the software.

So only keys that are obtained after you renew would be time based but the older keys (grandfathered) would still be good indefinately?

We shall see.....I need to stand up a server this weekend. Technically, Microsoft entered into a contract with me when I purchased that subscription and they fo not have the right to alter that contract, IMO.

Going forward, they can do as they please but what is done is done. I have no idea how they will tell when a key was generated. I understand some thieves were selling the keys but punish those knuckleheads, not the honest folk.

I believe one of the terms of the contract you entered into is that they can alter the licensing arrangements as their sole discretion.

It was going to happen -- the deal was too good before to not be abused by way too many people. TechNET is for testing. For me, I don't care, I plan to keep my TechNET subscription for some time. I've grown too comfortable being able to blow things up on a regular basis and not having to worry about activation problems when reinstalling the SW for yet another trial. I kinda like the on-line education too. :D

I believe one of the terms of the contract you entered into is that they can alter the licensing arrangements as their sole discretion.

I see you are attending Law School at night ...... :lol: