RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX 3TB $139.99

jazzerjay

What reason would I have to not buy one or two of these? I didnt see the speed so is it safe to assume 5400 RPM? Plus free shipping!!!??!!! Joe_miner would ask me what I'm waiting for, I just know it.

Joe_Miner

What reason would I have to not buy one or two of these? I didnt see the speed so is it safe to assume 5400 RPM? Plus free shipping!!!??!!! Joe_miner would ask me what I'm waiting for, I just know it.

It's a slower drive, certainly not as fast as the ST3000DM001 but then it burns less power also. I have two of these that have been running fine since late last Summer that I got before the Floods.

It really depends on your application. If you want speed and steller ATTO performance I'd say go with the ST3000DM001 -- if you want lower power useage then go with the WD30EZRX.

If you want speed and something a little cheaper the 3TB USB 3.0 GoFlex by Seagate would probably outperform the WD30EZRX if tied into a 3.0 port.

Of course, if your in a "no #($*%@ boxes from Newegg for awhile" zone with the head of the house you'll do like me and rationalize that the prices will be cheaper on Black Friday. :)

ikon

Waiting for? Oh, perhaps the history of green drives, at least mine and ITTOG's. I will not be buying any more WD greens. The Reds, on the other hand, could be another story.

jazzerjay

Waiting for? Oh, perhaps the history of green drives, at least mine and ITTOG's. I will not be buying any more WD greens. The Reds, on the other hand, could be another story.

Interesting, I own four 1TB and three 2 TB and have not had issues. And to answer Joe, it's still just for data storage. But like you, I think I'll wait again until Black Friday even though both options would suit me.

Joe_Miner

Interesting, I own four 1TB and three 2 TB and have not had issues. -snip-

In addition to my 2*WD30EZRX's I have had no issues with my older 1*WD15EADS and 2*WD20EADS nor have I had issues with my 4*WD20EARX's. Good drives that only sip power.

jazzerjay

In addition to my 2*WD30EZRX's I have had no issues with my older 1*WD15EADS and 2*WD20EADS nor have I had issues with my 4*WD20EARX's. Good drives that only sip power.

Have you posted your benchmarks on the EARX as well we the Seagates that you mentioned earlier?

Joe_Miner

Have you posted your benchmarks on the EARX as well we the Seagates that you mentioned earlier?

This is the WD30EZRX in my Z68 on a SATA III port

2012-01-02_WD30EZRX_3TB.jpg

The performance in the MicroServer was worse on a SATA II

clip_image052.jpg

jazzerjay

The performance in the MicroServer was worse on a SATA II

Thanks John! While the performance inside the N40l was not as good as your Z68, those numbers are still pretty good.

Joe_Miner

Thanks John! While the performance inside the N40l was not as good as your Z68, those numbers are still pretty good.

True. I did an experiment with one of my older WD20EADS's a while back in the Z77 with ISRT turned on and using a Corsair F3 60GB for caching I got:

clip_image018.jpg

Which blows anything else away. So if you wanted really nice performance but also the low power of a Green it can be done (with a Z68 or Z77 MOBO). Wish i'd tried it with the EZRX at the time but there's no reason it would be much different than what I saw with the EADS and ISRT running.

Edited by Joe_Miner