RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

EX495 Suggestions And "Must Haves"

analog

Ok, after much debate (impulse buy) I purchased a EX495 from Amazon to be delivered tomorrow. I have been on a frankenbuild for a little over a year with only a few minor issues. The "homebuilt" will become a test box.

What I would like to know is,

1. Pitfalls, what to watch out for or be wary of.
2. Your setup, is there anything you would have done different?
3. What harddrives to use.
4. Which addins are must haves.

I am presently running a 6TB pool (80% full) used mostly for TV and Movie archives and, streaming to HTPCs. I have never used addins and stream straight from the connector.

All input is welcome.
Steve

1/ I'd make sure the HP collector and Twonky are turned off when you set it up. Give it >12 hours after moving all your data to let things settle down before turning them on (if at all).
3/ I like the Greenpower hard drives. They run at a lower spindle speed (~5400rpm) than most 3.5" hard drives and so are quieter and consume less power.
4/ BDBB

"analog,

Currently how many drives do you have ? what sizes ?"

Right now, I have five 1TB and one 1.5TB Seagate drives in the "homebuilt".

I am leaning toward adding three 2TB drives, to the EX495, in the "green" flavour suggested by A.J.

Yeah, I'd highly recommend getting the biggest capacity/drive, even at a slight price premium. Considering that you have a max of 8TB internal and you are close to that already. Have you looked into getting an external eSATA enclosure for more drives? The ex49* series supports up to 5 drives on the port-multiplier eSATA.

Like AJ said, you are close to your limit, so you should start off with replacing the 1.5TB system drive with a 2TB. So that will gain you 500GB. Better do this when you start then later. Use the old system drive as part of the pool. If you do this, you will have to do a server recover right from the start since the new system drive is blank, only add the ols system drive after the install has completed and ou have all the updates, then add it to tray 4 and configure it in the Console as a pooled drive and format it. Now you should have 7.5TB

As AJ suggests, if you are near capacity, a eSATA external enclosure is the next step. Icy Dock makes a nice unit, I haven't seen if they have a 5 bay JBOD, you can also look at Sans Digital. They have a 5 bay eSATA external. They do have a 8 bay external, however that requires 2 eSATA connection on your server, but the HP EX49x/x510 only have 1.

Let us know when you get going and we'll fill your head with more stuff. :-)

You and I are in about the same boat. I just ordered and received an HP MSS EX490 and I am migrating from a DIY WHS build.

1) My major concern is installing something that would prevent logging onto the server due to some dialog error message or such. Normally this wouldn

A.J.

I have a 4 bay SATA Rosewill (RSV-S4-X) setting in reserve. In the beginning, I threw all of the 500GB and 250GB drives, on hand, into the server and life was good. Then, I discovered the "joys" of ripping my DVDs, HD DVDs, and Blu-Rays (See, I left out the "E"). Next was the great idea of archiving the Wife's TV shows (her idea) followed by saving my own favorites. Before you know it, the pool is filling up fast and I buy the Rosewill 4 Bay and start filling it with various drives. Over time, I bought bigger drives on sale and put the Rosewill on Sabbatical

What I get out of this exercise is, that from now on, I will buy the largest dam* harddrives I can find for server use.