RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

File History/Storage Spaces vs WHS2011

Rensul

Guest no-control

I'm considering replacing my WHS2011 server with a dedicated Windows 8 box that will serve as a centralized File History repository for all of my kids PCs (x4) as well as my own (x2). I would use Storage Spaces for disk redundancy.

The only thing missing is the image-based backup that WHS2011 provides but I keep hearing that Windows 8 Refresh/Restore can accomplish the same thing when combined with File History. Not sure how that works if your fully replacing a failed OS drive - how do you get Windows 8 back... Regardless I'm sure I'm missing something there so I'll assume that's true.

Some positives include:

• File History automatically backs up Skydrive - important since Skydrive doesn't retain accidentally deleted files or any sort of version history.
  • Storage Spaces gets back most of the Drive Extender functionality and simplicity
  • File History has a better interface for browsing and restoring files
  • Represents Microsoft's future vision for handling lost/deleted files and thus their attention and presumably upcoming improvements

Some negatives include:

• No image-based backup
  • ???

Any other positives or negatives?

Thanks,

Rensul

I'm going to ignore everyone elses ranting on this because it completely irrelevant to your question. Will a win8 file server replace WHS2011. The answer is, it depends. Are you going to update ALL of you client PCs to windows8? If so then the answer is yes. All PCs on win 8 (including the server) means you can refresh any system and keep your data and settings. It WILL NOT however restore your Win32 based programs only your WinRT based ones. A slight inconvenience depending on how many 3rd party programs you run. I've tested this and it works very well. Having to manage where everything installs just goes with the territory and shouldn't be new to anyone using windows. I would even argue its one of the main benefits of windows.

Now if you are not going to update all of your PCs to Windows 8 then there is no point moving to a Windows 8 based server. The disadvantages heavily outweigh any benefits. Stick with WHS2011. The thing to remember is Windows 7/WHS2011 is a local based system. Windows8 is a very cloud-centric system. There are pros and cons to each. Which fits your lifestyle and abilities to administrate them. Im of the opinion they need to be treated as 2 different platforms, think NT and 95, similar OS but a mixed environment was a jumble of compromises.

The part about the drive swap, either due to failure or whatever. Involves an image backup. Speaking from a windows 8 standpoint, your server should have a separate OS drive. Refresh would restore all of the settings. Again its a file server there shouldn't be much as far as 3rd party services or databases. To be honest I haven't tested how this would affect the storage pools on separate drives. keeping the OS in a mirror would help mitigate the issue, but an offsite image on a disc would be proper backup procedure.

The only way to get WHS2011 style backup of the server in an all Windows 8 ecosystem is to go with Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gcoupe

• jmwills

• MaximeIkIc

Stick with WHS 2011 and Windows 7. There is no advantage to upgrading your PC's to Windows 8. IMO If you do decide to upgrade your PC's when Windows 8 is released to the public. WHS 2011 can be used to backup your Windows 8 PC's. If it ain't broke don't fix it/break it. :) If you decide to buy a tablet after Windows 8 is released that's when Windows 8 could be useful.

Guest no-control

Mirror the OS and RAID the data.

Word

Stick with WHS 2011 and Windows 7. If it ain't broke don't fix it/break it. :) If you decide to buy a tablet after Windows 8 is released that's when Windows 8 could be useful.

Word up

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning,

I am Maxime, iKeepinCloud product manager.

I just discovered this excellent conversation for Windows 8's file history

We have developed a cloud storage: iKeepinCloud

iKeepinCloud integrates into the native backup software for Windows 8.

Here is a demo available on Youtube:

for backup

for storage

There is no storage limit.

Your data is stored in Europe in our own Data Center.

I would be happy to hear your feedback on the use of iKeepinCloud on Windows 8.

Maxime L.

maximel@ikoula.com

www.ikeepincloud.com/en

Edited by MaximeIkIc

Hello,

I did wanted to hide myself.

My objectives were not to sell anything but to gather feedbacks about a solutions with developped in accordance with windows'8 file history. I would be glad to hear your opinions about it if you have the opportunity to test it.

Regards,

Maxime

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Hello,

I did wanted to hide myself.

My objectives were not to sell anything but to gather feedbacks about a solutions with developped in accordance with windows'8 file history. I would be glad to hear your opinions about it if you have the opportunity to test it.

Regards,

Maxime

I appreciate your identification of yourself and therefore have no problems with your post. Will you be releasing the product in English as well? In general, I wonder if you will have some difficulty getting people interested in this forum as most of us have servers and plenty of backup solutions. Good luck though.

BTW, nice choice of music in the first video.

Yes It also exists in english. (www.ikeepincloud.com/en) and the web interface is also in englsih. Thus, iKeepinCloud can backup servers and works with many protocols (ftp(s), Https, WebDAV). It is complementary with many backup softwares.

Anyway, for the music, it's a remix of 'The first Noel' by Frozen Silence