RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

An eSATA to SATA cable that works in MicroServer Build

Joe_Miner

"I have also installed using 60GB SSD with 3TB disks, but I have not been able to connect additional disk using the esata port. I have tried a number of esata to sata cables. Can you recommend a short cable that works?"

The eSATA to SATA cable that I used in my MicroServer WHS 2011 Build was the Tripp Lite Model P952-18I 18" SATA to eSATA Transition Cable which is fully shielded and I particularly liked the description of one reviewer who said: “The connectors feel extra snug.” My installation of the cable is also described in different builds here and here

To power my HD in the ODD bay that is connected to my eSATA port I used a Nippon Labs SATA Adpater Molex 4-Pin PC power cable to 2 x SATA Converter Cables for SATA I and SATA II Hard Drive Model POW-SATA-2 to power the HD and my SSD that I located in the space below the ODD. (The SSD is connected to the SATA port on the mother-board.)

Here are some pictures of the eSATA to SATA cable (it’s the red cable) that show how it's routed:

clip_image0061.jpg

In the next picture you can see how the eSATA to SATA Red cable is routed up the side raceway by the PSU and to a 2TB drive in an earlier build:

clip_image036.jpg

Edited by Joe_Miner

Hmmmmm, two different drives in that top bay.

LOL -- one picture was from my first build with the MicroServer when I put a 2TB drive in the ODD. The other was from the current build with a 3TB in the ODD.

So many possibilities. Even SBSDiva is getting a MicroServer to load HyperV and then S2012E in a Client.................. http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2012/07/26/hyperv-server-for-smbs-a-step-by-step-how-to-series.aspx

Just wanted to mention that I ran into a major eSATA issue with my Acer H340. It turned out that the eSATA cable plug couldn't get into the motherboard jack far enough to make good contact. I simply took my pocket knife and trimmed 1/8" inch off the insulator of the plug and all was good.

Just wanted to mention that I ran into a major eSATA issue with my Acer H340. It turned out that the eSATA cable plug couldn't get into the motherboard jack far enough to make good contact. I simply took my pocket knife and trimmed 1/8" inch off the insulator of the plug and all was good.

No trimming necessary with the MicroServer.

Good to hear. Just wanted to mention it cause someone was having difficulties with cables, having tried 3 or 4. It's so unlikely that they would have that many bad cables that I began to wonder if it's the server. It might still be. The servers aren't all 100% identical of course, what with manufacturing tolerances, etc.

I used an L-Shaped connector for the MOBO and it worked well.

That was a good idea. I just used a Gigabyte SATA II I had to go from the MOBO to the SSD. Actually, I'm on my second SATA II cable -- I tore the 1st one up from all the times I tore the MicroServer apart and pulled and re-inserted the MOBO -- the SATA II cable would hit the lower left corner of the HD cage frame, if I didn't hold it in, and tear insulation off the SATA II. See the blue cable (the corner of the cage is kind of sharp too as you can see):

clip_image0041.jpg

Your pictures are getting better Joe_Miner. This last one is much clearer. I have one suggestion for you: put, or hold, a crumpled Kleenex in front of the flash when you shoot. It will soften the lighting and help reduce glare :)