RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SuperMicro X9SCM-F and RAID question

Smiley

I finally got my server together and am looking to run my 2 2TB drives in a RAID 1. The motherboard says it supports RAID on those particular SATA ports but I can't seem to get it into any kind of raid configuration window in the bios. Has anyone else used this board to set up a RAID? Any help would be appreciated.

The easiest thing to do would be to configure from within Windows. Install the OS on one Drive and in the Disk Management Applet, create the RAID 1 setup there.

This video shows it being done in Windows 7, the process is the same.

I agree with jmwills; do it using Disk Mangler. One advantage you get by doing it this way is that you can move the 2 drives to another Windows computer. It will complain about the drives, but you can go into Disk Mangler on the 2nd computer and use it to Import the RAID1 array. Works quite nicely actually.

I'd rather use the motherboard RAID since from everything i've researched it's better then the software raid. Problem is I'm not sure how to get it to do a raid on my MB.

I'm not sure where you read that, but I've never had an issue with the built in Windows RAID. That said, if a BIOS supports RAID, you normally access it during POST. Something will come up on the screen and tell you to press a key or key combo that will take you into the RAID interface. RAID has to be enabled of course, so you may have to go into the BIOS and find the SATA settings and change them from IDE or AHCI to RAID.

I haven't done it in a while but, if you use Windows to do the mirroring, I'm almost certain that you can. I say that because my recollection is that that's how you find out which drive is 'broken' so you can fix the mirror. I have this mental picture of an icon that has an image of a cracked mirror on it.

It could be that you have to use the boot order options on startup to pick the drive that's still working to boot up from. You have a 50/50 chance first shot :) and, obviously, you won't have to restart more than twice to get the right drive.

Well, ALL RAID is using software to some degree so to say one is better, that's debatable. Try it both ways and whatever is easier, go that way.

I'm more worried I guess that using the software raid will give me performance issues where as doing the MB raid shouldn't have that issue. I guess I'll have to try and disconnect the main boot drive and see if the mirror drive is able to boot up.

Sorry for all the questions but RAID is something I've never worked with so this is a big learning exercise for me. Thanks for your patience and answers.