RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Sevla

RAID 0 and Drive Bender

ikon

Testing is good....it tells you what will or will not work. It took me about a year to finally settle on a solution for storage. I think we all try to develop clever appraoches due to budget restraints, but in the end there is a reason some things work and others do not......

Good luck with your tests.

There is still much merit to K.I.S.S., which Sevia's experiment is most definitely not. Still, it IS interesting.

Joe_Miner

-snip-

.I will use ATTO & CDM. In your opinion should i use the windows transfers to test the network speeds or do you recommend the utility you use on your post?

-snip-

My suggestion is to use whatever testing or measurement utility that means the most to YOU and use that same utility/tool across the board so that when you compare results on future builds you’ll be comparing apples to apples.

ikon

you’ll be comparing apples to apples.

So to speak :D

Joe_Miner

There is still much merit to K.I.S.S., which Sevia's experiment is most definitely not. Still, it IS interesting.

Actually, it sounds like it could be fun. If I had the extra HW and a 2720 laying around it could be interesting to see what happened and how long it was stable. Looking forward to see the test results. [i'm showing my "Show Me State" origins!]

Edited by Joe_Miner

jmwills

It is interesting to be sure, however, if you have to constantly monitor and troubleshoot the issue, you've gained nothing. I hope it works for him.

Sevla

Hello again

Thank you all for your comments on this test im trying to run.

I have just installed a fresh copy of WHS 2011 for the pourpouse of this test (unfortunatly it is my production WHS 2011 but i have some spare hardware so all the testing will be done on new hdd´s and raid controller cards, so no data loss or having to redo my system from scratch, just a matter of putting everything together as it was before when im finished), will then fully update WHS 2011 with all the available patches from Microsoft, create a user account and install Drive Bender.

After i will create a hardware RAID 0 Array with 2x 2TB hdd´s, with it i will create a Drive Bender Storage Pool (if possible), from there i will test for read/write speeds and network transfer speed.

If all the above is possible and goes without any issues i will then create a second hardware RAID 0 Array with another 2x 2TB hdd´s and add it to the DB Storage Pool, and again run the same test as above and see if there is any increase in speed.

I will post the results.

ikon

I look forward to seeing your findings.

Sevla

Hello all

I have finally finished testing DriveBender with RAID 0 Arrays, and below are the results.

First read/write speed test results from ATTO and CDM using 2x 2TB HDD´s RAID 0 Array x1 in a DriveBender Storage Pool:

ATTORAID01.jpgCDMRAID01.jpg

First network transfer speed test results with LAN Speed, from the DriveBender Storage Pool to a network shared folder on my Windows Server 2008 R2, using 2x 2TB HDD´s RAID 0 Array x1:

Lantest1.jpg

Second read/write speed test results from ATTO and CDM using 2x 2TB HDD´s RAID 0 Array x2 in a DriveBender Storage Pool:

ATTORAID02.jpgCMDRAID02.jpg

Second network transfer speed test results with LAN Speed, from the DriveBender Storage Pool to a network shared folder on my Windows Server 2008 R2, using 2x 2TB HDD´s RAID 0 Array x2:

Lantest2.jpg

I have done one extra test with a 4x 2TB HDD´s on a RAID 0 Array (on the same controller card) but the results where very similar.

I can only see the benefit of the read/write speed performance of a single RAID 0 Array on both tests, as well the ablility to join both RAID 0 Arrays in DB, this way creating a single storage point.

Regarding the extra test with the 4x 2TB HDD´s on a RAID 0 Array, i probably did not get better results due to the restriction of the HDD´s and RAID controller card being SATA II.

The lan test might be misleading, as the little increase of speed on the second test, might be due to any reduction on both systems resources during the test, but i was able to move a 40GB HD movie iso file between the two servers at 135 MB/sec under five minutes, best speed i ever seen on my network.

Now i only need to test my previous setup (JBOD added and used to create the DB Storage Pool), and compare them against this results, but i think what the outcome will be.

In worst case disaster scenario, with the right RAID Array troubleshooting/recovery and data protection/backup plan, i would defenitlly use this method as my WHS 2011 is only a multimedia hub, but unfortunatlly my motherboard supports SATA AHCI but no RAID, so i cannot take advantage of all my HDD´s using this setup, thats why i will not be testing this method for reliability at the moment, as i would like to use it on a "production enviroment" and not a "test lab", that would be a real reliability test.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Best Regards

Sevla

ikon

That's pretty impressive throughput, and I suspect it's quite a bit faster than pcdoc has gotten during from his Drive Bender tests. As I posted earlier, I suspected you might get better performance, but I didn't expect it to be this good. Basically, you have SSD performance using spinning drives.